April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Glenz, Jtplumb, Hammergun, Argo44, DaveB, 1 invisible), 543 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,080
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22156 01/26/07 07:30 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have seen a number of european guns with straight rifled barrels. They are typically smaller guage guns. What was the purpose of having straight rifling?
I currently have a 16ga Husky rolling block in my possesion with a 36" barrel with rifle sights and ...you guessed it...straight rifling.

Thanks

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom most guns with what appears to be straight rifling isn't. Most have a very slight twist starting in the last 6 - 9 inches or so. This was to start the lead ball out slow and then put the spin on it so as not to have pressure push the ball so fast that it strips the rifling. I had a 12 bore double rifle like this. The last 9 inches had a very slight twist the rest was straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How well does it work??

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike.

I looked at it when it came in and I thought that there was someting odd going on. That twist is slight enough to be non-existant. Still looks interesting though
Have to slug it and see what can be done.

So, how well did your 12 shoot?

Could this be gain twist? Or maybe a 1 in 100" or something? I'm curious. I would like to own and experiment with one of those guns. Too bad I'm broke. Guess I will have to buy a lotto ticket. CCCB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never fired it. I bought it as a wreck/project. Someone saw it and wanted it a lot more than I wanted to mess with it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No gain twist here. And if it actually has any twist at all it's when I cock my head a bit to one side.

Either way, just ordered up some brass cases and two molds; one for patched and a full bore ball.
Too cold to shoot but plenty of time to cast.

Tom

Boxlock
Boxlock

The straight rifling was an economical way to circumvent the Swedish game laws that put a ban on hunting moose with smoothbores; you had a "rifled" bore for the moose hunt, but you could still load the gun with shot and go birdhunting without destroying the shotpattern, as a true(spiral)rifled bore would have done...
Straight rifled guns were made from both percussion muzzleloaders and breechloaders, although I cannot state exactly when these game laws came into effect....
I personally own a Husqvarna M1860 (popularly named "Wrede's rifle", after the inventor) that was originally approx. .47 cal., then sporterized and reamed out to smoothbore; it is now approx. .52 cal. straight rifled.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Waco, thank you.
Now that makes a great deal of sense. The bore was originally .660 and when it was rifled it was opened to .690 or so. I did fire it with patched ball and have loads with a full size ball but haven't tried them as of yet. Really a tremendous amount of power over 150gr of black with the almost 12 ga ball. If I can get to to group into 2" at 50 yds I'll be happy.
I think that it's feasible.
Now just have to take it out for pheasants in the fall...

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.