March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

MC
At age 73 I can promise you that it has been a long time sense I saw the "tinned" barrels. My memory says that it was a very thin coat with NO lump or bumps. Sort of like the tin plateing on an automotive piston

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would any one want to tin the outsides of the barrels ? Apart from the practical points that the blue/black/brown would not take over tin or that unless the ribs were brazed then surely dipping them in a vat of molten tin would loosen the ribs .Only possible reason that I could see for doing this would be to tin the barrels before the ribs were laid. Even then the practicality of doing so is beyond me as the cleaning off of the unwanted tin would outstrip the time saved in this method of tinning over the more traditional ways .

gunman #367382 05/25/14 10:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The reason for tinning the barrels was to prevent(slow down)rust forming under the ribs and making them come loose.It did take work to cleam the tin(really lead/tin solder) off the outside to allow bluing.When labor was cheap, this was considered a good trade off.When labor went up,some "quality" items were done away with.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The tinning process was done using an acid flux, which allowed the solder to adhere to the steel, on both barrels and the undersides of the rib. The acid flux was not something desirable if left in the void between the barrels however. Once "tinned" in that fashion, all of the acid flux was cleaned away, and rosin flux was then used to allow the two tinned surfaces to adhere. The rosin not quite suitable for adherence directly to steel, does work well for solder to solder application. This said, I doubt very seriously anyone ever completely coated barrels in actual tin. I believe that's just something that came about from a potential misunderstanding concerning the term. It's a term commonly used by sheet metal workers and gunsmith's alike to allude to the process described above, and other jobs where getting a good solder connection may be difficult. Cheap labor or no, I just can't see anyone subscribing to the amount of work required to remove all of the extra metal if they didn't have to. [Ask jerry what I went through relaying ribs on one for him. I've since figured out a few tricks to simplify the job, but removing unwanted solder was a complete and absolute PITA.] As the unwanted metal is filed off, both barrel steel and tin/solder acquire the same color and the two become almost impossible to differentiate for one thing. Also, it's easy enough to tin the complete inside portion of the barrels by applying acid only in that area, thus keeping any unwanted material to a minimum. I've seen the void on a few old SxS's, and most seem to have been done this way, as you can usually see a small spot or two that was missed. We're also talking about a time when labor was quite cheap, but materials were considered dear. Why use much more than required?
It's also become my belief, and that of others whose knowledge and background I respect, that not all "good" barrels are completely free of a pin hole or two in the rib solder from day one. After some years of checking ribs, I've found that some can have a pinhole or two, but still have perfectly sound rib attachment and no major rusting going on between the barrels. This seems to happen more often in older American made guns than in those of English/ Euro manufacture. Which is why I believe you see weep holes more often automatically,[it seems], included on many American made guns.
No intent on raising hackles, nor calling anyone or their friends/ relatives liars. I just think my background in the HVAC&R industry gives a little extra potential insight on the "tinning" aspect of this discussion. Feel free to have at me if you feel otherwise. I'm fairly thick skinned.[Others may say thick headed as well].
Jim

Last edited by JimfromTrafalgar; 05/25/14 11:33 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I begin to see . Basically what has been described was a production technique to tin the barrels before the ribs were laid rather than just flux up and wipe down with solder as in a more traditional way . I suppose if you have a high production rate then it may have advantages but still seems to be counter productive in man hours .
Just a point of interest I took the ribs off an old hammer gun last week as the loop had come loose and had lifted the bottom rib so all ribs needed to come off and be relayed . It was absolutely spotless in side , fully tinned and first time I have ever noticed it ,it smelt of pine ! So what kind of resin had been used when the ribs were originally laid , I know not .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can see JimfromTrafalger's point about tinning the area around the ribs, but it would go past them and would have to be cleaned off.I suspect that job would go to an apprentice as part of his training.They worked(in the old days)basically for the training and maybe a little bit to eat and a place to sleep-not very expensive labor.
Mike

gunman #367554 05/27/14 04:30 PM
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

While in gunsmithing school one of my teachers claimed the rosin from the evergreen trees outside our building worked very well as a flux for tinning. I never tried it, but he never steered me wrong either.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, would that have been Leonard? I watched him tin a set of barrels using an electric iron , a solid block of rosin and a chunk of pure tin hammered thin.

I miss Leonard!

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Resin is not actually a flux .It is used as a barrier to prevent oxidation when soldering previously tinned parts . I have laid ribs using old fashioned irons heated in a muffle and drawn down the bores . This is method is Ok And is great for "flushing down " but most people now-a-days use a propane torch , however care is needed not to over heat as the resin just tends to burn thus negating its purpose as well as having the solder run out and leave misses . Never tried an electric iron and I would imagine that you would need a pretty big one to get the spread of heat needed . Each to there own and having laid/re-laid close on 140 sets of ribs last year I will stick to my tried and tested ways .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.