April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Krag 1902, Fudd, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,207
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
An Uggie for half the money is half the gun. That's why it's half the money.

Markets don't lie.

Actually markets do lie when it comes to the question of quality. Quality has to do with how well something was made, not the price it commands or the speed with which it will be sold on the used market. Those issues are more greatly affected by brand name value and/or collectibility in our little corner of the world.

For real world examples we just have to look at the long term realized auction price valuation tables created by Rocketman here to help with assessing the likely value (selling price) of English and Continental guns. The biggest component of current value is Brand Name. For double guns Branding includes both the actual maker as well as his location (London, Birmingham, Liege, St. Etienne etc)

I quite agree that markets do not always determine what is best, but balance value against demand. There are many guns without a great name that cost much less than the same quality of design and build with a name.

You can get a better belgian gun or french gun for the same money on a well made brit gun. While the french and belgian guns are in less demand and you would not have as easy a time selling it, I would look there if performance is your real bottomline.

I also believe the Spanish guns to be a value too. And to answer your original question lay the two guns next to each other try each mounting them and swinging, and pick the one that feels best. If you can't do that then roll a die as if the examples are equal builds its luck. In the same class and price it often comes down to feel and taste.

Last edited by old colonel; 05/25/14 06:13 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Hoof #367451 05/26/14 09:38 AM
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoof....if it were me I would buy this and put a nice piece of wood on it to give you the long pull.
You'll never out shoot it....

http://www.gunsinternational.com/BERETTA...un_id=100426999

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Hoof #367528 05/27/14 08:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hoof
AYA 4/53 boxlock (actually NECG 4/25) 15" LOP to checkered butt

Uggie grade 5 round action SLE 14 1/2" LOP will need a pad

This will be my one and only side by side. Hunting 20 days a year and sporting clays maybe 500 targets a year.

I would appreciate your opinions to help me decide.
CHAZ

I would look for sadly discontinued Beretta Essential or Whitewing. This are light vertical guns designed for carry in bird fields. The one with dull black finish is preferable in the game fields. These are excellent good handling guns that would serve you well. With the money saved I would buy some cartridges get lesson or two from pro and fund part of nice hunting trip with rest of cash. Four grand is too much money to throw into a field gun.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 05/27/14 08:47 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

PS. It's your money, but the only way I would spend serious money for bird gun is with proper stock measurements. I suspect this would cost >4,000 anyhow specks will change with things like substantials weight fluctuations and advancing age of shooter.

Hoof #367536 05/27/14 10:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoof, if you're going to Hauseman's, your problems are over.

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Hoof, if you're going to Hauseman's, your problems are over.

I was hoping that if I didn't actually find what I want under the big tent, at least I can look at a few guns and decide what it is I want.

Right now I am just waiting for the price on the Purdey in the classifieds here to drop. Just kidding of course.

CHAZ

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.