May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Hammergun, SKB, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 299 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,999
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats George!! Nice bird and gun!! I too am perplexed by all that stuff, I think the color is called green?

Mike Koneski

MOLON LABE
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You know, this was not meant to be a one man's turkey season thread. I showed you mine. I broke lucky again Friday afternoon and bagged the bird below.

I'd noticed some scratching and strut marks opening weekend in a small linear food plot in the middle of some young planted pines. The weather report for Saturday was a washout, so I played hooky from the office Friday afternoon to get my weekend turkey fix in. When I walked up to the two path road approach to the food plot I saw a hen and a gobbler already there.

I watched them a while with binoculars. Considered a sneak through the pines but just waited till they moved off into the woods. Then I walked in, placed a jake decoy and hid a couple of pine rows in to call. Within minutes I had a hen answer then two of them came in from my right and walked up to my decoy. I looked left and spotted the Gobbler, another longbeard, coming up the road in full strut. He came right on in front of me and I took him. Pic below:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Only one bird to go to wind up my GA season limit. I edited my last post to show pic. Many thanks for all the kind words! Think I'll go fishing for a while...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

George,
Good for you!!! In MI the earliest season comes in the third week of April so we are still several weeks away, but getting excited for it. Finally getting some good snow melt over the last week and seeing a little bit of that green (well, brown for now) stuff underneath! I am sure as the other states season's come in others will be adding their pictures. Add the gun, bore, load when you post pictures!

Dogs On Point!!! - doublenut

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: doublenut
George,
Good for you!!! Add the gun, bore, load when you post pictures!

Good idea. I think I posted that the 1st one was taken with the W and C Scott & Son 10ga hammergun with RST low pressure #5s. For the second bird I backslid to my 'usual' turkey gun an NEF single shot 3.5" 12ga with 3" number 5s...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

We all have milestones to celebrate in our careers of hunting turkeys. The first bird. The 50th bird. The 100th bird and so on. Then there are the slams. On Sunday I achieved a milestone I have never equaled in 38 seasons. It was windy. I thought I should have stood in bed. At 7 a.m., a trickle of a gobble over the wind. I knew where he was. By the time I set up, he was on the ground. For over an hour, he traded gobbles for my clucks and yelps. I heard the hen go to him. I waited him out. He still answered. I heard the nearby drumming. Finally, there he was moving left to right. I put the .410’s red dot on his head—too far. He was at least 50. I watched his colors flash through the cover as he headed to the field. I held my ground and he answered. He was at least 100 yards out. Using the screen of brush, I moved up about 50 yards. I clucked. He answered. He came. He stopped at about 50 yards, craning his neck, giving me the eyeball. He walked off with the hen. He made it to the edge of the field. I could see his fan out about 100 yards. I moved up to within 40 yards of the field and waited. Finally, at about 10:15, I saw three birds moving towards the woods. He picked up two more hens unseen to me. I waited. Then he followed. I cut. He double gobbled and headed into the woods with me. When he was about 30-35 and behind a pine, I picked out the open spot and waited. With the red dot on him, I squeezed off a round. I achieved something I had never achieved with a .410. I had done it with a 10 gauge, often with a 12 gauge, and a few times with my 20 gauges. I flat missed the crinkled-ass sob. Photo below is one from last year. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

The misses make good stories, Gil. We don't remember those we ate!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am so shamed! I too have turkey hunted for many years and have missed my share. However, Gil now has a Grand Slam and I can claim only a half slam. I've missed with the 10s and often with the 12s, but never even shot at one with a 20 or a .410!...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo, The Royal All Gauges Slam (Rags) would include the 28 and 16. Nit-pickers would include 24 and 32 gauges. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr, Newbern, congratulations on your first bird with the Scott.

Originally Posted By: GLS
Nit-pickers would include 24 and 32 gauges. Gil

Gil, let me know when you want to borrow the thirty-two. I can't help you with the twenty-four ..... yet.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.