April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#367189 05/23/14 12:52 AM
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

AYA 4/53 boxlock (actually NECG 4/25) 15" LOP to checkered butt

Uggie grade 5 round action SLE 14 1/2" LOP will need a pad

This will be my one and only side by side. Hunting 20 days a year and sporting clays maybe 500 targets a year.

I would appreciate your opinions to help me decide.
CHAZ

Hoof #367190 05/23/14 01:05 AM
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, if I had to pick between the two, it would be the Uggie. A classier gun, nice engraving, decent wood and IMO a better feel. Just my opinion mind you. True a BLE is simpler, but there is something special about a Round Body SLE. I wouldn't worry about the quality factor, they are about the same.

There are plenty other choices, but you narrowed down what you want, so we should stick to your choices.

Good Luck!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Hoof #367208 05/23/14 09:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Easy. AyA.

Quality factor IS important, and AyA is way out in front.

Simple, nice looking boxlock gun.

It will require only a little oil, and lots of shells.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Hoof #367210 05/23/14 09:54 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

$4K for an AYA boxlock? You can get a lot of nicer things on the market for that money, new and used. If it is important, you are unlikely to get even half your money back if you decide to sell it. If you want a box lock, get a Uggi and save half your money, or look at the new Fausti's. If you want reliable, get a used BSS or SKB, or look at the NEW SKB's.

Hoof #367212 05/23/14 10:09 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no experience with either brand, but I have to agree with danross..4 grand could get you into something better.. a pretty nice older English.German or Belgian BL..which I think would be a far nicer gun to own.
Just wondering if the OP had thought about these options, is all.
cheers, & good luck with your choice Sir
franc

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would buy the right used gun, but I haven't found it yet. If I don't end up getting anything before then I will be shopping the Great Northeastern at Hausmann's.

CHAZ

Hoof #367214 05/23/14 10:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

An Uggie for half the money is half the gun. That's why it's half the money.

Markets don't lie.

AyA's do well in the used market, they are way easier to sell than a Ugartechea. That name comes with a blank stare, while the AyA name at least results in a nod of the head.

This is from John Boyd's ad on this site. (Quality Arms).

A very tidy little gun, at a fair price. New.

The question is if was MY $4k, and this is where it would go.

AYA #453 - 20 ga. 28" ic/mod. This is one of the really nice upland guns made by one of the most respected makers' in Spain today. This elegant , small frame gun has a case colored receiver with a light engraving. A traditional game gun with double triggers, straight stock and a splinter forearm. This gun was ordered with select grade wood, with the AYA best hand rubbed oil finish. Also on this nice lightweight gun there is a stock oval in the butt stock where you can custom engrave your initials if you wish. These are beautifully custom built guns that are of exceptional quality! New. (1 1/2 x 2 3/8 x 15 * 6 lb.)
picture#1 | picture#2 | picture#3 | picture #4
Gun # KK-16-09
$3,695

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at 12s but I revisit that ad often, the wood is beautiful. I might not need all that shot?
I am trying to sell an older sle Uggie so I know about resale. That is why I am thinking about trying to trade at Lion Country thinking I would get my best trade value at an Uggie dealer.
Chaz

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:

Gun for gun, dollar for dollar, the Uggie is equivalent to the AyA, at least in the guns I have seen and handled. I have Uggies, my buddy has AyAs. I prefer the Uggies, he prefers guns with a big name. They are both nice guns, but the Uggie gives a bit more bang for the buck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

Markets don't lie.

Actually markets do lie when it comes to the question of quality. Quality has to do with how well something was made, not the price it commands or the speed with which it will be sold on the used market. Those issues are more greatly affected by brand name value and/or collectibility in our little corner of the world.

For real world examples we just have to look at the long term realized auction price valuation tables created by Rocketman here to help with assessing the likely value (selling price) of English and Continental guns. The biggest component of current value is Brand Name. For double guns Branding includes both the actual maker as well as his location (London, Birmingham, Liege, St. Etienne etc)

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.