April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hoot4570, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was looking at a Sterlingworth "20" ga. on Gunbroker and noticed the serial number on the trigger guard was for a 16. Not knowing if it was a case of a swapped trigger guard or a mistake in listing description I contacted the seller. Asked him which is was a 20 or a 16. He said it was in fact a 16 and called it a "good spotting" of the error on my behalf. But he never corrected the listing or restated the gauge.

Now some poor guy just bought a "20" ga. that will magically grow to a 16 in shipping. The dealer has 800+ feed backs so he is no novice in Gunbroker sales. And he had both time to change listing and plenty of time to make the listing a easy transaction for the buyer. At the risk of pissing off the Gunbroker police the seller was Springhouse. So if you deal with him be prepared for a few surprises. The buyer will have to decide either to keep the 16 or pay shipping both ways and try to get his money back.

So here are the possible outcomes. A buyer gets stuck with the gun that was wrongly described and could have easily been corrected in plenty of time before the sale ended. Mistake was made but not by the buyer and not fixed by the seller. Or he returns it and takes a loss on the shipping both ways, say it isn't so but you know that is how it works, almost always. The dealer will either get another negative feed back, which has not bother him before, or the feedback will just get lost on the internet. I have seen it before several times where bad feed backs just go away.

What should happen with two negative feed backs, in a year time, is loss of selling privileges for 30 days. Repeat offender should be barred. Never going to happen I know. And contacting Gunbroker is a total waste of time. I have been there and done that. It is crap like this that makes Gunbroker a bad place to work with when buying a gun from some dealers. No help and no enforcement of what should be basic rules.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Caveat emptor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon,

Thanks for the heads-up. And for identifying him.

That sure would be disappointing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Caveat emptor.

Exactly. If you are not making arrangements for the seller to send a gun, site unseen, to an unbiased gunsmith for evaluation before buying then you are taking your chances.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunbroker exists to put potential buys and sellers in contact with one another. For the small fees they charge, I think you are asking rather a lot. You did your homework, and others need to do likewise to protect themselves. If GunBroker starts suspending dealers because of disgruntled customers, they will just go elsewhere. I am not including you in that category, but there are a lot of totally unreasonable and nutty "customers" out there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my personal opinion, but I would not view receiving a gun in a different gauge than that which it was listed as being Unreasonable & Nutty. If I had ordered a 20ga & simply did not want a 16ga I would certainly be upset at having to pay shipping two ways to return it when it had plainly been incorrectly listed. Certainly not all guns out there can the gauge be identified by the SN but surely the person Selling the gun would have means of determining it. After the mistake being pointed out & failing to correct the listing seems Utter Disregard to me, I'm with Jon on this one All the WAy.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Originally Posted By: mike campbell
Caveat emptor.

Exactly. If you are not making arrangements for the seller to send a gun, site unseen, to an unbiased gunsmith for evaluation before buying then you are taking your chances.

The problem with that suggestion: Getting the seller to send the gun anywhere prior to receipt of funds. Whether it comes to you or goes to a gunsmith, the standard remains a 3 day no questions asked return period. But the buyer ends up paying shipping both ways--unless the seller owns up to a very basic error (like wrong gauge), bites the bullet, and refunds your money including shipping costs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon
It's frustrating to deal with this but I have gotten two deals lately from people who didn't have any knowledge of serial numbers, choke, bore diameter ect.....
I don't worry about shipping I feel like it's the fee I pay for convenience I worry about getting the refund if I am dissatisfied. I have been cheated on the postage amount once by a member of this blog but I will avoid him in the future. Had a little trouble getting a full refund from a guy on Gun Broker last month...sent him a nice firm note said I was going to post accordingly and he sent me the money weeks later.CEO of a pretty big outfit.

monty
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jeweler, I understand your post but this was not only poorly described but the dealer failed to correct the listing. All he had to do was post an answer to my inquiry for all to see. He did not. Wonder why. I would guess a dealer with 800 + feed backs knows this and decided not to fix his error.

Let face facts a 20 double is much easier to sell than a 16 and brings more money. Second is that many buyers will not send a gun back and just keep it instead of sending back and having to pay freight both ways. Third is that he just did not care if he caused someone to waste money because of his error and that bugs me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are we sure that the seller did not tell the buyer what he was getting before the deal was consummated?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.