May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mark II, Argo44, Lloyd3, Marks_21, Krag 1902, 1 invisible), 952 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,485
Posts545,287
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fair enough , Dig.
It certainly provoked some response...
And, if I may ask,what's the price range for something like that?
I think I saw a DR by Alex' Henry done in similar style (DGJ,or online, not in hand), it was a top maker , anyhow.
It seems silly, but it seemed more appropriate to me on the rifle, than on the Gun, lol.
Cheers
franc

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not sure what this one will end up at - the last one I sold was not as good; a 16-bore with sleeved barrels. It made 15,000.

It came in from Australia and I have yet to be given a price from the owner.

I knew it would provoke some divergent opinions - it seems many on the board had not seen one before. I hope it proved interesting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Underside Gargoyle makes me have to say..."No".

With a fine gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmmm. After these last several posts I began to ponder about the historical context of this gun. Given that the gun was made during a time of Germanic ascendancy (Franco-Prussian War to WWI, 1870-1914) this may explain the preference for a more "Continental" type of deeper-relief engraving. This was also the time of the resurgence in the interest of mythology in general, (also due to many of the other things happening at the time alluded to in the previous posts) inspiring the creation/construction of things like the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria. So, we have a deviation from the more traditional type of English engraving to one that could easily be called today "Pop Culture" inspired. Given those reasons, it's entirely possible that the engraving was probably not seen quite as unusual at that time compared to now, but might have been considered more "Trendy". Given the general theme of the engraving, I suspect that the figure on the bottom was a "Harpy" rather than merely a grotesque, ready to snatch up an evildoer and carry them off to the Erinyes. I totally understand, given the theme, why there would be Griffins/Gryphons on the sides and fences, (usually depicted with more bird-like heads, as far as the ones on the sides) but the reasoning behind the goat-horned fellow on the lower bottom part of receiver and the trigger guard kind of perplexes me. Could it be a Satyr or a Faun, or possibly Pan? (the God of hunting, among other things) Or, even Beelzebub himself?

I'd like to know who commissioned this engraving. It'd probably explain things quite a bit. I like the Aleister Crowley reference,(Thelema Mysticism) that type of mystics were certainly around at that time. I actually met some Agape members, many years ago when I lived in California, although as I remember, none of'em were the "Big Three" shotgun types..

Last edited by Ken61; 05/20/14 07:35 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Down in the peasant class I'd rather have The regular Royal scroll engraving........but ... but for the right price I could shoot it.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with you there on both counts monty.
Cheers
franc
PS, Monty, are you a hands on jeweler?
I have a cherished Indian silver/turquoise ring (Navajo ?) from Arizona that has, after 30 years of never taking it off,has a bad flat spot on the finger hoop..would like to see if I could fix it will some delicate tapping on a mandrel type deal....could you help via e mail?
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 05/20/14 10:21 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check it out - similar engraving on an earlier H&H:

http://www.collectorebooks.com/gregg01/shotgun3/Lot-3440.htm

Guess SB's was more than a one off.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I absolutely love the bold, classical engraving of these guns!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a "no" for me, a definite "no". Second, third, or fourth look didn't help change my mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

owd..I'm find that gun you posted to be better executed than Digs one,a little tamer perhaps, but comes off , to me, as better work...
cheers
franc

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.