May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (eightbore, Drew Hause, Ken Nelson, battle, 1 invisible), 290 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,650
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, just for fun here. What are some of your shake your head gunsmithing projects that you've had done to some of your doubles. Don't want to drag up any painful memories, just some that had you shaking your head.

I have two.

The first was when I had a guy recommended to me for stock refinishing. Well sent the gun off (it was a 12b hammergun, I still have)got a call saying the oil soaked forearm was beyond help and he could make me a new one. Okay go ahead, got the gun back, the forearm looked like the slide off a pumpgun with really crude checkering. It looked terrible. Had to send it off to a real gunsmith to have a new one fitted. Oh, the stock finish BTW just came off, not dried nor would it dry, you could take you hand and just wipe it off. Had it refinished again!

The second one was I wanted a recoil pad put on to extend the LOP, well the recoil pad with spacers was close to 4" long and get this, glued on to the stock, no screws, needless to say, it came off and had the job done right by someone else.

And yours?

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, gosh, here we go.

I had two Winchester 23s that were choked M/F. I wanted Skt/Skt and took the guns to a nationally recognized barrel guy. That's four barrels. When they came back, one of the barrels had never been touched. Another had the reamer only run part way through so as to leave a sharp shoulder with 90 degree corners midway through the choke. By rights he should have made the work right, but how smart would it be to give the guy another crack at the guns?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took a gun to a local to check out the chamber length and he must have been as blind as Mr. Magoo-I watched him scratch the outside of a barrel when he somehow missed the chamber and put a scratch on the outside of the right barrel with the chamber gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a gun and when I tore it apart (A&D boxlock) to see why it wouldn't cock I found an orphan top lever spring squeezed into the action as a hammer spring.

Of course that gun had also been "professionally" finished with GunKote (glorified spray paint) over top of pits so bad I had to take all the engraving off the action to get rid of them.

CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Took a beautiful 30" Miroku field gun in for a new pad and it came back with ported barrels. I hate ported barrels.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have a baggo stories, but they're no fun to tell if I can't mention names, and I won't do that.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Please no names!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Please no names!

Actually Greg names should be mentioned to spare future people the heartache of having their gun ruined by a nitwit.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I took my Greener in to be rejointed. While there, I asked the gunsmith to have several replacement screws engraved to match others on the gun. He rejointed the gun perfectly. He also used the narrow edge of a mill file to cut three more wide slots in each head to make a sort of star pattern. Fugly!! I ended up making new screws and engraving them myself. He was a good machinist but a bit heavy handed on the finishing side.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have seen that done and was not impressed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.