April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (DaveB, SKB, Hugh Lomas), 1,070 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Steve, and BTW I'm going to have a number of duplicate tube segments which I'll send you after taking everything to METL

Sidelock
Sidelock

WOW!! Thanks Drew!

The guys at the local gun shops won't let me put etchant on the barrels of the guns that they have in inventory. wink

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm picking up a gun from my local smith this week. He had a barrel full of old barrels that I will take a look at. Good chance there's a few jabc 's to be found

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for looking Will. I do still need a couple of junker Twist barrels, and just 8" or so of the muzzle end (will save on mailing).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Thanks for looking Will. I do still need a couple of junker Twist barrels, and just 8" or so of the muzzle end (will save on mailing).
So if you want a piece of my Lifter Parker 11 bore, 8" from the muzzles back, I guess it's either "hacksaw City" in a vise- or perhaps an abrasive chop-saw to zip right on through. What are the terms of shipment there Dr. Drewbie??

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm taking the barrel segments by METL on Weds.

Pattern Welded
2 Syracuse Forging & Gun Co., Batavia ‘New Baker’, Damascus Twist, 1888
2 Ithaca Crass, Damascus Twist, c. 1891
2 Parker Grade 0, Stub Twist, 1891
L.C. Smith, Twist, 1902
2 Crescent No. 8 Knickerbocker, 3 Rod Oxford, c. 1905
Wm. Powell Birmingham, 3 Rod Oxford
Unknown English maker 3 Rod Oxford
Unknown source 4 Rod Oxford
Parker D4 4 Rod Turkish

Fluid Steel
Smith No. 00 Armor Steel, 1898
Krupp Essen – unknown maker
Remington 3200 c. 80s before barrel steel change from 1140 carbon steel to 4140 (Settlement participation eligibility ended 12-1-1996)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Add a 'Belgian Laminated Steel' JABC Twist barrel to the list above, and will test each tube (2 samples).

In light of the unfortunate 'Zircon' saga, and just to document this is for real, here's the Tensile Strength testing quote from METL. Obviously science doesn't come cheap, and I sure hope it turns out to be worth it smile

PRICE QUOTATION FOR METALLURGICAL TESTING OF 13 BARREL SEGMENTS

Per your request the following quotation is submitted for testing of the components submitted to determine the materials and processes used in its manufacture. Testing is to include preparation, analysis, examinations, photographs, and report.

Machining of 17 tensile specimens from the 13 samples ($32.50/sample): $552.50
Testing of 17 tensile specimens ($17.50/sample): $297.50
Photomacro/micrographs (5 estimated at $15.00 each): $75.00 Chemical composition of Smith No. 00 Armor Steel via OES: $112.50
Short Report – Including photographs of the tensile specimen and machine setup of the English 3 Rod Oxford as well as short report compiling all data: $78.75
Estimated job total: $1116.25

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In order to get a better idea of what, exactly, went into Pattern Welded iron and steel, I reviewed these and other documents
http://docs.google.com/a/damascusknowled...Q/preview?pli=1
It should be noted that the references are almost all English, and I've found nothing specific to c. 1900 Belgian iron and steel sources, recognizing that likely all U.S., and most English makers used Belgian 'rough forged tubes'.

Early 1800s
Horse shoes (Spain) and horse-nail stubs, ox irons, scrap stub-iron, worn scythes.
Broken coach-springs
“Soft steel, which is decarbonized in the course of manufacture.”

Mid-1800s
Appleton's Dictionary of Machines, Mechanics, Engine-work, and Engineering 1873 - “It would be difficult to define what scrap iron is, or what it is not, being composed of everything in iron that has previously been manufactured, as well as of the cuttings from the various manufactories...”
“…old horse-nail-stubs are now so scarce as to be almost obsolete.”
“Swedish iron, known by the mark CCND, and coach-springs, form an excellent combination for Damascus barrels.”
“Among the scraps usually thought to be best are old chains that have been used for many years, the wear and rust of time having left only the best elements of the iron.”
Clippings of saws, steel pens.

c. 1900
“The supply of fine old scrap does not now meet the demand, so at the present time the metal for gun barrels is made from a mixture of the best iron ores.”

The Gun and Its Development, 8th Edition, 1907 William Wellington Greener
Pig-iron obtained from a mixture of the best ores is placed in a furnace, melted, and cleansed from all dross by puddling — the dross, being much lighter than the iron, rises to the surface, and is skimmed off. When sufficiently cleansed, the draw-plates of the furnace are lowered, the heat reduced thereby, and the liquid iron whilst cooling gathered and worked into blooms of about 1 cwt. each. The puddler takes the bloom with a pair of tongs, runs with it to the tilt hammer and hands it over to the shingler, who, by dexterously turning the metal under the hammer, forms it into a square block and passes it to the roller; it is then passed through the various rolls until of the required size, and drawn out into a bar of about ten feet in length. The hammering under the heavy tilt condenses the metal, and causes the dross and scale to fly off.
If scrap steel is used, it is treated in the same way. But if new metal is employed, the finest qualities of rolled bars are chosen; the steels suitable are open hearth (Siemens) and ingot steels produced by modern methods, if low in carbon.
On account of its purity and uniformity, best Swedish steel is most usually preferred.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, Swedish steel to this day is still considered excellent. When I was young and in the tool room we used a lot of Swedish tool bits for lathe work. I seem to remember the name Mora on them. I'll have to look and see if I still have some.

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.