April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Vall, Jimmy W, SKB, battle, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 227 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,271
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#36506 04/18/07 07:09 PM
Will S. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone here familiar with Charlins? How are they to shoot; how difficult/expensive if repairs are needed? What kind of prices do they bring? Anyone able to date a gun with a serial number in 360xx range? I've seen a lovely .16 ga. version, nicely scroll engraved, with an action that works so smoothly it defies description. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Will

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have seen two examples in last three years; both very plain action no engraving. (I guess Hallowell has had one forever also but I don't care for the squiggles or the price.) Both in $8C range; kicking myself I didn't buy the first one I saw locally but I didn't care for the offhand attitude which the bozo who consigned displayed over phone. Bought one from Thad Scott; 12 ga. 28" ic/full. Far as I'm concerned plain jane little gun is the gold standard; has the old je ne sais quoi but I don't know what it is. Maybe that barrels that light can be proofed to the "triple palm" pressure. In fact, I'm constantly amazed that I can shoot this gun with 15" LOP. If your breech ain't sliding on bearing balls, you ain't living. Not too crazy about the "pineapple" safety. Mine has stood up well to the volume of casual skeet (100-150 rnds. per wk. for a couple months last year. Hasn't broke so I haven't searched for a mechanic. Got Frogmania pretty bad at the moment. Looking at every Manufrance Ideal, Darne, and boxlock guild gun I can find. Ted Schefelbein may be able to tell you more of substantive value than I can. If you decline to take it, please clue me in on its whereabouts.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hence you should change your name to Lapin ;0

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Price comparison . . . not enough Charlins around to judge the "market". Best bet is to look at comparable Darnes. The Charlin does have a smooth action, if you're into the sliding breech guns. Safety can be a bit awkward, as noted above.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They shoot, well, about the same as any other good quality double. Expect short chambers, and tight chokes. No issues on correcting either, but, do have a good gunsmith do the work, as opposed to a local 870 mechanic. If it breaks, you are SOL, and will have to, again, pay a good gunsmith for his skill in reverse engineering a replacement part. The very good news is the only thing I have ever seen break in a Charlin (I've handled a lifetime supply of them) is a little flat spring that keeps upward pressure on the toggle when the gun is cocked-if the gun goes "clunk, clunk" when you cycle the action, this is the problem. Doesn't sound like an issue, in this case.
Dating a Charlin, isn't possible. There, I've said it. The company was owned by several owners, and serial numbers, and sequence didn't mean a lot to any of them, from what I've seen.
A Charlin, like a Darne, can be left with the action slightly open, which, will function just like the safety everyone complains about-the gun can't fire. Where a Charlin differs from a Darne is that the breech is not locked to the barrels-the action is an over-the-center device, and pressure on the breech face tends to hold the action more tightly closed. It is a clever arrangement, but, more then one bloke has stuffed standard, American, high pressure ammunition into a short chambered 5 1/2 lb Charlin, and peed his pants after the shot, when he saw the opening lever slightly lifted. But, nothing is wrong, the action is just protesting the abuse. The gun can't open. That same reason is why I prefer a Darne for my slidey breech guns, but, that is just me. A Darne, is one bolted shut tight mother when the key is closed. I like it that way.
Price pretty much comes down to how much you want it. None of your friends will have one, so they won't have gotten a better deal then you, which, might cause undue embarrassment, if that 'sort of thing bothers you. I always liked the sling swivels that all of them seem to have, but, you could and should use that as a ploy to get the price down-I have. If the price is too high, wait a month, and then start waving cash at the owner-the gun will still be there. Probably still be there in a year, in all honesty.
Good luck, and let us know what happens. If repairs or an inspection are needed, Kirk Merrington is your man.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Postoak, I prefer the Italian "il Coniglio".

jaques

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've spoken with Geoffroy Gournet about Charlins. According to him, they are more coveted in France than the Darne. He's says they cost much more than Darne of a comparable grade in Europe as well. Charlins are quite a bit smoother operating than the Darne action, the couple I've seen have been very well made. The Charlin at Hallowell & Co. has been there for a long time and is considered by many to be overpriced in this country. Charlins are nice guns. If you have any problems, like the thing needing to be repaired or something like that, Gunter Pfrommer can fix it for you as can Geoffroy Gournet.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, I saw an engraved 16 listed in the $1300-1500 range that sold Feb. 2006. Don't know what the actual selling price was, but the engraving was identical to Hallowell's 12.
I have to admit to abusing the 16 I have with loads and weather for the last 5 years... it keeps on ticking, but I'm always on the lookout for a parts gun in case it ever fails.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blue Book seconds suggestion of referencing price for similar grade Darne.

jack

Will S. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to each of you for the responses, esp. the lengthy reply from Ted, and Dustin's comments. Jack, I will let you know what washes out with the gun. Genuinely appreciate the help. Best, Will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.