May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sun Dog, Jimmy W, skeettx, AaronN, Bill Palmer, 1 invisible), 411 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,764
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no detailed inventory of parts and pieces. It in my thought (no data) that Ithaca sold finished guns and assembled guns from parts. Some Ithaca Lefever side plate guns have been found with Ithaca barrels. I think the number of guns produced in closer to being in the 100s rather then the 1000s. JMO.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Walter, your opinion is pertinent with me!
Thanks for your efforts
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 04/19/14 11:47 AM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Original poster here! I am fascinated by the responses and I have not yet read through all of them yet. Thanks to all you dedicated enthusiasts. I have the gun at a trusted gunsmith right now to check it out so I can not currently take more pictures. But I can answer some of the questions that were asked:
1) buttplate is in rough shape but it appears to be round "LAC" type
2) I have not removed sideplates to see about adjustable sears.
3) There appears to be no additional marking under the barrels other than the serial number and an "x", which I think is frame size?
4) cocking indicator is the type that protrudes out the sideplate when cocked.
5) gun does not say either Syracuse or Ithaca anywhere.
6) forearm does not have any metal parts on it like others with similar serial numbers.

I will get a chance to read through the rest of the responses and hopefully answer the rest of the questions. Again, thanks for all your insights on this topic!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefevers generate a lot of interest to those of us who like them. What they do not generate is a lot of hard data and indisputable points of agreement. perhaps that is why some of us like them. Enjoy yours and see if you can find a little more about them as you shoot and get hooked on them. Warning they are like potato chips. One is never enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is quite likely that your local gunsmith knows less about Lefevers than several members of this forum.
If you live on the East Coast the Lefever Arms Collectors Association will be at several Side by Side meets this summer. We are also present at the annual Antique Gun Show in Las Vegas every January. You are welcome to bring it by for a personal examination.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I and DS grades most usually have a distinctive round knob buttstock and forend without a metal tip. Since you can't get a photo at this time could you describe the buttstock and forend?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello again,
Addidtional information:
1) I believe the gun to have a semi pistol grip stock although I get confused by the terminology here. It is definately not a straight or English grip stock.
2) The end of the grip is plain and does not have the plastic beveled cap that is common on the Lefevers of similar vintage.
3) The forend in plain wood - no metal components.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a link to a DS grade Lefever with a semi-pistol grip stock. See Photo no.5:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=410892077

What you have is what I'd expect to see if the Durstons were building a prototype gun that was a grade lower than the H grade. I'd be very interested to know if the barrels are indeed fluid steel, which would make sense from a cost cutting standpoint. It could be that their original intention was to offer the I grades with the cheaper fluid steel barrels and the DS grade with twist barrels. This might help to explain the DS grades we sometimes see with dolls head twist barrels and cocking indicators.

I would not expect to see any sear adjusters on this gun, and would not even bother looking. I merely brought the appearance of those up to illustrate that sometimes unexpected features appeared on a slightly lower grade gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yesir Kieth. It looks exactly like the one you pictured. It also definately has fluid steel barrels. Hopefully pictures soon...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.