April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Jtplumb, graybeardtmm3, 375whelenIMP), 323 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jani, as much as I love the .22 WRM, the conversion from CF to RF can be expensive and vexing, might be especially so in a double rifle. It takes some serious geometry to shape the liner so that the CF firing pin hits the rim of the RF cartridge. I've seen it done, but not in a double. Actually changing the pins from CF to RF is feasible but VERY expensive unless you can do it yourself.

I like the conservative suggestions to handload until you find a reasonably accurate load, or let it alone. Many of the ".36 cal" rook cartridges use heeled bullets and can be made to shoot by using a hollow-based .38 Special wadcutter and black powder.

The one (a "no-name" Martini .360) I messed with worked quite well in spite of a fairly rough bore when I carefully "tempered" the nose and bearing body of the bullets and left the hollow bases soft so they could expand and fill the bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike. You have a PM.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike A.,
My cousin and I never could get good results with the hollow base bullets in his .380 Martini Rook rifle.We didn't try Black powder,however, which may have made it work.I had a mold for a conical bullet intended for 36 cal cap and ball revolver.The base was rebated enough to use it as a heeled bullet(lubed with Alox).It was satisfactory, but had to be handled carefully.I think Buffalo Arms may have 38 Colt heeled bullets, maybe even a mold.I still think this should be seriously tried first.Re-regulating this double to .22 would be a "trick", even with the little convergence for low recoiling 380 Rook.Again, just my opinion, it's not my rifle.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Double Rook Rifles are very rare and depending on make it could be quite valuable in its present un-altered state. Here in Britain they are much sought after. They have antique status here if original and hence fetch high prices. Check with Smallbore on this site and he may be in a good position to advise before you alter it.

I have a single .360 Rook Rifle which will take .38 Special brass and I just load for it using .38 Special cases and dies and get good accuracy over moderate distances although it does have a tendency to tumble bullets over longer range.

I bought one that had been converted by lining to .32 S&W Long that has similar ballistics to the original. That makes a good option if you insist on altering it but do remember that double rifles can be absolute pigs to regulate to shoot both barrels to the same point of impact. I would be loath to alter it. Lagopus.....

Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I haven't actually seen the gun yet so the bores might still be in usable condition which i would greatly prefer over relining. The gun only has BP proof marks but no maker they can find. Overall it sounds like a higher quality English gun with foliate engraving to the locks and action, side lever, tall dolphin hammers and nice thick percussion fences.
what would be a rough price estimate off the information i have given you?

cheers Rhys

Last edited by Rhys95; 04/08/14 01:00 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly here in the U.K. if it is in good or restorable condition it may be anywhere between Ł1,000 and Ł2,000. As I say doubles are rare in Rook Rifles. It sounds as if it was made in the trade and a name never put on. I have a nice single that has no name so it isn't that unusual. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rhys95,
I checked the Bufflo Arms website,it turns out they don't have the heeled 38 Colt bullets listed.However they have a mold listed for .380", 135gr heel base bullet, for $139.95.They also have loaded ammo. The 38 short Colt has the heeled bullet, but I suspect the 38 long Colt ammo is loaded with .357-.358" diameter bullets, because it is listed as Cowboy ammo.I believe most SASS 38Colt revolvers actually use .357" barrels.In any case ammo may not be avaliable where you live, but there should be no problem ordering the mold.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been following this thread, and have some interest in it as well. I have the opportunity to pick up a nice rook rifle that has been bore out to .410, like so many others.

Does anyone know if there are gunsmiths in the US that specialize in relining rook rifles to original calibers? I would guess gunsmiths familiar with these obsolete calibers are few and far between.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

thanks for that mike, will definitely have a look at those mold's and see if anyone in Aus has any reloading gear.

Rhys95 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This has all been very helpful everyone and gives me a bit more to go off when I go for an inspection. fortunately, the Auction only gives each gun a quick look over and do not clean the barrels which makes it possible the bores are in better condition than described. hopefully!
regards Rhys

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.