May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (coosa, Jimmy W, LGF, 1 invisible), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,515
Posts545,684
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe one little problem with determination is that it's going to be defined in different ways. I'm pretty sure there're folks that would say my effort is not good 'nuf, which doesn't bother me, at least right up to the point where they tell me I can't go hunting. I'd hope we're not thinking the US can afford to loose a bunch of hunters by shooing them away with more hoops to jump through.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see many shotgunners who do OK. For them it's 30% to 50%. That really is just OK. But if that makes a guy happy, then I hope you have a lot of fun. Most shotgunners do pretty well and I'd be happy to have them join me in the woods and field. I find rifle shooters to be dreadful!! Especially the guys (majority of deer hunters) who dust off the rifle 2 days before the season opener, shoot a 12" group at 100 yards and then hit the woods and "spray and pray". Then they put the gun away until 2 days before the next season and wonder why they can't hit a bull's posterior with a snow shovel!!

Mike Koneski

MOLON LABE
Sidelock
Sidelock

I "wasted" my youth mainly shooting rimfire and centerfire rifles and for fun, would often times pick the heads off ruffed grouse, while deer hunting (never did elk hunting). I went though thousands of rounds of rimfire at ground squirrels and targets and mainly targets with centerfire.

My folks didn't give me money for my rimfire ammo needs, I would walk the highway picking up beer and pop bottles to sell to the store at 3 cents apiece to supply my 22 cal needs at 9 or 10 years old and mow lawns or other odd jobs later on for the same reason. Centerfire, I would reload from my dad's ample stock. My shooting ability has slipped as I've gotten older, my eyes have deteriorated and I shoot much less.

Concerning a shotgun, I got tired of embarrassing myself while upland hunting with friends so was determined to improve. I've spent the past 8-9 years during the off season shooting clays, which has helped me to become a fair upland shot, with still much room for improvement.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan has it spot on.

Two things I really wanted to do in life. I wanted to fly like Jimmy Stewart and shoot like John Wayne.

I well remember working in an underage sweat shop making $1.65/hour running a punch press in 10th grade. I saved enough working 5 hours a night for close to a year to buy enough lessons to pass first solo. When flying time is that dear, one does pay attention. There is no substitute for motivation. If you really want it, you can achieve it.

Fast forward a few years.... I had a flight student who was a shooter. He showed me his Browning broadway trap, and his Ljutic monogun. They were the most amazing things I had ever seen.... Eric was kind enough to provide some basic instruction and a couple cases of shells.

I have no actual talent at any of this... just desire and drive. It's better than all the money in the world. Know why? Because I did it myself.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do average duck hunters suck you ask? I can't speak for their shooting skills but I have been able to observe over several decades that many have a lack of ability to estimate range, or they are just desperate.

Game shooting does not provide the opportunities to shoot enough to become proficient with a shotgun. Clay pigeons; Skeet, Trap and Sporting can provide the ability to learn to mount, evaluate the path of the target and make the move to hit it. Those games still can not provide the same experience as shooting a live bird. That is why I enjoy crow hunting, lots of inexpensive time in the field shooting a lot of live birds during a very long season. If one can kill 50 to 70 percent of the crows he fires at he is a good shot in my experience. One of the nice things about crow shooting is the ability to learn how to hit long shots with full choke as the use of full choke at close range is of no consequence as we are not shooting the birds to eat them.

Oddly enough one of the best wing shooters in the world is a crow hunter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cn6MEymVXk

Sidelock
Sidelock

I learned in 20 years of involvement (not behind the gun) with driven Pheasant and Partridge shooting in the UK that 'team wise' the best teams were about 2.5 'bangs per bird' - and the worst over 5 'bangs per bird'.
On an individual basis, I have seen one or two individuals who choose the best (highest birds that are still in range), but only take an 'marginal out of range' shot when a bird is already wounded by another shot manage 80% kills and more. Such people are rare to see and a joy to watch.

One individual (sadly now no longer with us) stands out. I have watched him give clean kills on bird after bird, mostly high challenging birds without a miss using 1 oz loads in 1920s (made for his Father) 12 bore featherweight Purdeys weighing just on 6 lbs.

Naturally in 20 years in the field, one sees all types from beginners to very experienced shots, and using all guns from the finest English names to some very budget examples, but the best shots are indeed memorable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doubled post, deleted duplicate.

Last edited by JohnfromUK; 03/30/14 07:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
The ones who complain, "I can't afford the practice" don't have the determination to see it through anyway. History is replete with those, who had not the means, but who caddied, cut grass, bartered work for shooting, whatever it took to get to do what they loved, and who excelled. There is an unwillingness to give up in some people that transcends any and all material shortcomings. It's one of those things that, if it has to be explained to you, you wouldn't understand it anyway.

I will not mince words on this. Have your final say, Larry.

SRH

No need to mince words, Stan. After all, you told us that you started out with Daddy buying your shells for you. How come you weren't carrying newspapers or cutting grass to buy them YOURSELF? Kinda gave you a leg up learning the game, didn't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good shooting is certainly critical hunting, if for no other reason that we have an ethical obligation to take game humanely when we choose to hunt for sport. But there are a lot of other skills required to hunt effectively - good dog work, good scouting, shooting the right loads. For many (myself included, who is still serving time in AmarilloMike's Gulag), it is easier to go to the range and practice to become a reasonable shot than it is to put in time on quality dog training, scouting game, patterning loads. But knowing where to find game and knowing how to work with a good dog is as important as good shooting when it comes to putting game in the bag.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown

No need to mince words, Stan. After all, you told us that you started out with Daddy buying your shells for you. How come you weren't carrying newspapers or cutting grass to buy them YOURSELF? Kinda gave you a leg up learning the game, didn't it?

Rather a difficult situation for a farm boy to have a newspaper route or mow lawns when he had FARM work to do for his Dad.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.