Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's correct Saad. They used to solder it in, now some weld it.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 04/19/07 05:03 AM.
Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What is brazing?

And which type of welding is performed? In layman terms I know of two types of welding, one is electric welding using a welding rod and welding unit, the other is by using a gas torch and thin metal rod (steel, brass, etc).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saad,
Brazing is typically a term used to describe using a nonferrous metal such as bronze or high silver content alloy for bonding two pieces of metal together, much like soldering only higher temperatures are needed. The term brazing also indicates the bonding metal is a lower temperature than the primary metal parts, unlike welding. "Brazing" that I'm familiar with has included bonding of steels, titanium, and aluminum.

http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article36.htm

Last edited by Chuck H; 04/20/07 12:37 AM.
Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Chuck!

Could you please further elaborate that how the chamber is bored out (steps 2 & 3 in drawing). I mean what tools are used.

What should be the minimum wall thickness of the turned down barrel at chamber area (setps 5 & 6 in drawing)?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another stab at an explanation of the process:

"Sleeved bbls - An economical method of bringing new life to a damaged pair of barrels, regardless of their original method of jointing. The ribs are removed. The barrels are cut off 3" - 4" from the breech end and discarded. The bores of the remaining breech-end are reamed out oversize. New tubes are fitted down into the original breech section and filed down to fit flush. The original ribs are then replaced.

Sleeving is considerably less expensive than building a completely new set of barrels. Much of the time required to build a set of barrels is concentrated in the fitting of the breech end to the receiver; this work is salvaged through sleeving. Sleeving can be recognized by a pair of circumferential lines around the barrels a few inches from the breech; the more invisible, the finer the job. A sleeved gun should always be identified as such amongst the proof marks, and if done in England must be properly reproofed."

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saad,
when I bored the chambers, I cut the barrels at about 8" from the breach, then simply turned a piece of steel bar (mandrel) in the lathe to fit the bore, TIG tack welded the bar in one of the barrels, put the bar back in the lathe, indicated (trued) in the breach end of the chamber and bored just over 3" deep to the desired diameter, removed the bar and barrel from the lathe, cut the tack welds, repeat the process on the second barrel, cut the barrels to just over 3" with a saw, turned another bar about 2 3/4" long that the newly bored oversize barrels would fit over tightly, put the barrels on the bar with the forward end of the barrel where you can face off it squarely to the bore. Repeat on the other barrel.

It's extremely important that the forward face of the barrels be perfectly square to the bores. It's also extremely important that the bored out chambers follow the original line of the bore. So, I didn't use reamers for any of the work but rather indicated in and bored with single point tools.

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/02/07 01:29 PM.
Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Chuck.

So, traditionally reamers are used for this purpose?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Saad,
I don't know what is "traditionally" used since the one that I did was the one and only. Professional gunsmiths with English training like Mr. SDH and others may have more direct experience traditional methods and likely have done it much more than I have. As a former machinist, I can tell you that a reamer will tend to follow a hole axis, where a part that you've spent time indicating in and want the axis of the new hole to follow that axis, will be best done by singlepoint boring.

Saad Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck,

The problem is that, I see in your method it works with both barrels cut. Whereas, I am looking for a solution to sleeve one barrel only, the other one will remain intact during the process.

Do you consider it is possible to machine it using lathe with second barrel still intact?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is possible to sleeve a single barrel on a double, my uncle has a SKB 100 with the left barrel sleeved. This would be possible on a lathe with the proper tooling and set up and the ribs removed. A special cutter may need to be made. I would think a set up such as is commonly used for opening chokes(different cutter of course) to square cut off tube. As for opening the old chamber, a reamer will work fine if you take light cutts, adjustable reamers work great for this. Good luck,
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.