April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, barrel browner, Ducks Rx, Roundsworth, LGF, graybeardtmm3), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

I heard on the Michael Savage program yesterday that this is not, in fact, the worst mass killing. His story was that in 1928, a school board member set dynamite charges over a period of weeks, in the school where he had some alleged grievance. Blew it all up, killing 45(including himself) and injured another 54. Michael Savage is conservatisms own raving lunatic, of course, and I have not way to verify this story. The important point is that in every case, the lunatic killer has shown signs of being a lunatic for some time and the signs were ignored by family and friends. Nobody just goes nuts and does these terrible things just because there was a sale on dynamite or handguns, etc.
We are unfortunately not completely safe anywhere, no matter how restrictive the country's laws are.
I also heard on the Glen Beck show that more kids are killed yearly in football(high school and college) than are killed in these awful shootings. Doesn't make this any less tragic, just some gives it some perspective. God bless their families and friends.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff,
Your words are even being emulated by our politicians as we type. No one wants to use this event for their agenda. It will change as time passes. Years ago I remember reading an piece about 2 or three wemon held in a house by some armed nut. They managed to call police. The police sent a squad car to the house and didn't see anything out of the norm and drove away. Later after the event the ladies filed a court case directed at the lack of respose by the police. Eventually the higher courts found the police had fulfilled their responsibilities. The police have an obligation to protect society not the individual. This was the final finding and it pointed out to me what many don't seem to understand even today.
Best,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only viable defense seems not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pray hard as this works for everything.
PS. I never eat at "fast food joints" becuase I don't want to eat .... and then die, that would truly suck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
I heard on the Michael Savage program yesterday that this is not, in fact, the worst mass killing. His story was that in 1928, a school board member set dynamite charges over a period of weeks, in the school where he had some alleged grievance. Blew it all up, killing 45(including himself) and injured another 54. Michael Savage is conservatisms own raving lunatic, of course, and I have not way to verify this story. The important point is that in every case, the lunatic killer has shown signs of being a lunatic for some time and the signs were ignored by family and friends. Nobody just goes nuts and does these terrible things just because there was a sale on dynamite or handguns, etc.
We are unfortunately not completely safe anywhere, no matter how restrictive the country's laws are.
I also heard on the Glen Beck show that more kids are killed yearly in football(high school and college) than are killed in these awful shootings. Doesn't make this any less tragic, just some gives it some perspective. God bless their families and friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Jim, Here ya go! The media is being very careful with their words. The VT tragedy is the largest school "SHOOTING" in our country's history. While the body count in the Bath Township massacre was far larger, the deaths were caused by explosives that were set over a period of months, not gun related. The media, particulary the liberal media, will only want to sensationalize the gun aspect.

Lowell et al
I apologize for my tirades, I have been having a rough time lately.
If I may be welcomed into the fold again, I agree, squabbles within, but we need to stand united. I believe it was Ben Franklin who said " Gentlemen, We must all hang together, or we
will all hang separately". If I am wrong in the quote, or in the caps, I aologize.
Mike B.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ozpa
Originally Posted By: ben-t
I might be wrong, but if he had been legally determined to be mentally unstable it would have shown up during the instant background check.

I believe you are wrong, there is no method that I know of for reporting this in a manner that NICS can use.

I for one see the horrible failures in our mental health-care system on regular basis. As a defense attorney and prosecutor I've come to the conclusion that MUCH of the drug abuse in our rural county is related to self-medication. I've dealt many times with people suffering from major depression, bi-polar disorder, and schizophrenia. I believe that most of them abused street drugs and alcohol in order to deal with their symptoms...one of the more disturbing was the schizophrenic that told me he drank because it quieted the voices.

Generally I believe that there are no gun laws that can or should be enacted at this point to make us safer, with the caveat that any person committed voluntarily or involuntarily for mental health issues is not (apparently) reported on NICS.

The gun grabbers will be yelling for our guns following this. We need to be the ones that the public views as having common sense and a reasonable approach to these issues. We need to make this a fight of logic, and not of emotion.

Todd

Your physician may know that you are as crazy as a bed bug and not be able to report it because of HIPAA privacy rules. Probably doesn't apply if he thinks you are a menace and a danger to society but that's a tough call and he may be betting his licsense to practice on it. Health care privacy and the NICS check are in direct contradiction in many cases.

EDIT: Well.....this is incredible. The guy was apparently ruled mentally ill by a court. This should have showed up on the NICS check. Wonder what the problem is and why it hasn't been corrected. If we are going to submit to a check , it should actually mean something. See link.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/print?id=3052278

Last edited by Bob Blair; 04/18/07 05:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Bob B. is correct. However, the nut also probably lied on the 4473 form he filled out to buy the gun(s). There is at least one question about your mental competence. I'm sure Sarah Brady and Clinton will prosecute the dead violator of all the laws already in place, not to mention multiple murders, already slighty illegal.

> Jim Legg <

This sort of thing is going to happen again, and it seems to me that we need to accept that it is inevitable that everytime that it does, that there will be discussions about what kind of gun laws might reduce this kind of violence. Rather than denegrating those who do not understand gun ownership and taking extreme positions like advocating that teachers and students carry weapons, we should engage in the debate in a rational manner. Do you really think it is a good idea for guns to be carried to a fraternity party, or a college basketball game? It is just plain stupid to state that most people who advocate stricter gun laws are using this just for political gain. It is just possible that most of these people are just as sincere in their beliefs as we are in ours. In my opinion, we do ourselves more harm by being afraid of these discussions, and by assuming that any sort of restriction on gun buying or the types of weapons which are restricted will automatically lead to eventual gun confiscation. I think that we all realize that gun resrictions will not prevent many murders, but it is reasonable to explore the possibility that some laws could reduce some types of violence. For instance, how many people really need 12 rounds in a clip? Could a law limiting the capacity of guns reduce the fatalities and give people a chance to get away or fight back? Would national laws be better than a patchwork of state laws? Would a waiting period for handguns in Virginia have made a difference? I don't know the answer, but we are fools if we automatically suspect the motives of everybody who asks these questions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Springer,
Grab a helmit and flack vest. You know what is coming.
Best,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Springer,
I was with you on the part about guns in frat parties and basketball games and even allowed that there are people that just want reduced violence. But, when you start down the path of 'do we really need 12 rounds' you end up at one round eventually. Besides, I recall practicing for IPSC shooting years ago and getting so quick (2-3 secs) with a reload that 7 round mags were enough to make me comfy. I never did buy a 14-15 round gun...ever. Soon as this becomes obvious to anti's, removeable mags would be next.

If these people want to focus on a real hazard to their safety, they should put their efforts into automobile safety. Aproximately 42,000 people die each year on our highways. That's 115 a day. Those that lost loved ones are no less tramatized as a those that loose loved ones to gun violence.

The issue most of us have is not with those that ask whether or not these controls will work, but with those that demand that they be implemented because THEY say they WILL work.

It's a tough problem and obviously there has not been a solution that addresses all issues.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.