May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, montenegrin), 301 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#360965 03/14/14 10:14 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I apologize in advance if this question is too off-topic for this forum but I wasn't sure where else to post it. Does anyone have experience hunting with or shooting big bore (.35+) air rifles? Apparently, air rifles have been around a long time, though the current versions bear little resemblance to their ancestors.

I have been doing some research on these guns for deer hunting in E MA. They certainly seem lethal enough, but currently are not permitted for deer hunting in MA. I am considering pushing for a change and am gathering information to support that.

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Meriwether Lewis and William Clark had an air rifle on their expedition in 1804-1806.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

They are still very much in use today. This video clip should illustrate the potential of today's air rifles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJLGVlQ_33A

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Stan. I have seen some pics of bison and elk taken with the larger caliber versions. Pretty impressive ballistics for an air gun!

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Holy smoke! Who knew such a thing existed? Amazing. That's a definite "add" to my urban arsenal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the Napoleonic wars air rifles were used as sniper weapons. It was regarded as "poor form" to use a rifle that was untraceable by smoke so anyone found on the battle field with an air rifle was summarily executed. The big bore rifles currently available will move a lot of lead pretty fast. My 35 cal will put a 158gr bullet through an inch of plywood. I never tried anything tougher. It's MOA at 75 yds. I can't see past that.

Last edited by drduc; 03/18/14 10:22 AM.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a custom maker.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/index.htm

Quackenbush was an old time maker of boys rifles that also had some air guns.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never seen the point of these high powered air rifles with their bottles, hoses, couplings and the other headaches, over a plain old cartridge rifle. Even the best of these air rifles come nowhere near the power of relatively modest cartridge firearms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lewis and Clark carried a Girandoni air rifle.

In many respects, the Quackenbush and other modern versions are no different than some who take an interest in muzzle loading black powder...

original Quackenbush

modern Quackenbush

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

bonny,
In some places, they don't qualify as a firearm, and may be used where firearms can't.Gun Digest had some articles about hunting with them where guns aren't allowed-even deer size game.Also they are quiet.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
bonny,
In some places, they don't qualify as a firearm, and may be used where firearms can't.Gun Digest had some articles about hunting with them where guns aren't allowed-even deer size game.Also they are quiet.
Mike

Lack of firearms is hardly a worry to you americans smile. I can see the point of air rifles when shooting around farm buildings etc on the likes of rats, pidgeons etc, where even a .22lr would be too much. But i'd never use one on big game personally.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.