March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just returned from a very nice outing on a clay's course. Shot my average with a nice 1898'ish Army and Navy backaction hammergun. Haven't loaded blackpowder shells in a while so last week I put some up. Went about half the course with these and there was really no difference between them and the smokless shells. Chambers were lengthened in England and re-proofed at the Birmington Proof house and so marked. Load used: 2&3/4 inch Cheddite papers, factory primed. I used 90 grs of Goex 1fg to take up some space and I have plenty of this in stock. One .125 card nitro wad hard on the powder followed with a 1/2" felt cushion lubed with SPG soaked in a double boiler placed on waxed paper to dry. On the felt wad I used a 1oz. plastic shot cup (removed the cushion section) Just to keep pellet scrubbing to a minimum. 1oz 7&1/2 shot, overshot card and finished off with a nice roll crimp. This is the first time I went with the lubed felt rather that a fiber cushion and I really liked the results. Much cleaner that a dry fiber cushion with none of the bits flying about or the mess of loading a lubed fiber cushion. I'll be using felt in the future. Almost forgot how much fun this can be. I think I'll use blackpowder loads for the pigeon ring event at the Medford, WI. event this June.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ERic,
Are you loading on a MEC or PW or handloading one at a time. I was nervous wto put the black in my PW afraid I would get some corrosion etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I usually load black powder in an OLD aluminum Pacific or Bair press.
In this way no spark concerns.

And I use AA hulls and star crimp and use the hulls only once.

I also use F because I have lots of it. Looks like charcoal smile

Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I use a 50 count wood loading block from Balistic products and handload. Really takes little time. Volume measure powder, hand seat wad column, shot cup and dipped shot.. overshot card and take the block to my drill press and finish with a roll crimp. Just did another 50 this morning. I'll put up some 2&1/2" 3 dram/1oz shells using 2FG later this week. (Cheddite paper trimmed). Cleaned the Army&Navy hammergun and made supper last night. After, I gave my Woodward hammergun a light cleaning as I picked it up from my gunsmith before we went out for clays. Finished both with a wipe down and placed on the coffee table, glass of single malt and ran my copy of "The Shooting Party" BBC 2006 DVD. Life is good!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good fun isn't it? I go once a month and shoot clays with BP. I load and use just about everything from .410 to 8 bore. It's amazing what 1 dram of powder and 3/8th. ounce of 8 shot can do from a .410. The old 8 bore makes quite a Boom! Enjoy. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, it is good fun. Most gunner's in my area have not seen what a blackpowder shotshell can do and usually ask if I "blew my self up?" After I tell them I am using blackpowder they are really interested and some express a desire to "give it a go'. More than happy to give them a pair or two. Watching the line of gun's in the movie discharge all those blackpowder loads on the drives really is great!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
I usually load black powder in an OLD aluminum Pacific or Bair press.
In this way no spark concerns.

Mike

Some might want to check out:

www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

Interesting stuff......

Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmmm, I will chew on this for awhile,
Thank you for posting!

Interesting stuff ......

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I unleashed a single black powder round one night while I was shooting at the Naperville sportsman's Club. Besides breaking the clay, all I succeeded in doing was getting the rest of the squad PO'd at me. This was a simple fun round and folks got angry, trap shooters take their game far to seriously. It's why I came to dislike trap shooting.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Call me gullible, Mike....but I believed it enough to try spark ignition with very minute amounts of both FFg and FFFg with the same results ......to where I've loaded many hundreds of rounds of black powder using both my MEC charge bar (alum. anyway) and a Redding (steel) powder measure.

I'm not suggesting that you or anyone else do it, but I have for a number of years and am still 'intact' grin

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.