Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've read the thread related to shotgun barrel blueprinting and it has a lot of good info on wall thickness measurement tools.

Now back to tools for measurment of bore diameter. I'm aware of the longer ones sold by Galazan and Brownells; also the short one that's 6" long one I see in magazine adverts. Is anyone aware of any other vendor of long measuring tools, something like 16" to 20" or so? I'm in the market for a good one and I want to consider all makes and models. Thanks. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had Skeet's gun shop make me one with a 16" depth. I think that he did make them for Brownells at one time. Price was quite low and the bore gauge works well today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers,
If you have access to a little lathe and drillpress, you can modify one of the conventional bore gages that industrial machine tool inspection gages. I found a couple on ebay and have yet to lengthen them. It is a simple matter of making a longer tube and rod that actuates the dial, no real precise work at all. The rod has to be cut to the right length but it is very tolerant and can be filed to length.

here's a candidate. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hemco-Dial-BORE-Gage...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers,
Where is the blueprinting thread please?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Silvers,
Ignore my last post, I was looking TOO deeply into your post.I thought you meant there had been a more in depth article on the specific subject of 'Blueprinting Barrels'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Twenty years ago I worked with a chap who was into computers in a BIG way.We had an engineering problem to measure a bored hole.I made up a tool to his instructions, which was basically a piece of wooden dowel with sensors attached.This was put into the bore hole at the mouth and zerode.One sensor was spring loaded and able to move away under spring pressure from the other sensor and its path plotted on a computer screen.
The probe was then pushed down the bore and the bore dia was plotted on the screen for its full length.
The resultant graph on the screen showed I.D. to 0.0001" and 0.001" increments down the bore.But I suppose with calibration he could have crunched any number I wanted.He was a real smart guy but I bet you guys out there think that is easy to do.Well I just wish I could do it now.
I've just followed Rabbits instructions and spent the night hanging from the Bay window curtain rail!!!!!!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sal, Dr. Gaddy broke the chain by being something of a prophet in his own country. Perhaps rabbit doesn't imbue the subject with the same scholarly gravitas, LOL!

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

While the specialized shotgun bore gages which I've seen, that were of the '3 balls against a tapered rod, running a dial indicator' design, are convenient and in most cases more than adequate for the average amateur or professional task at hand, they will not give an accurate account of an out-of-round condition.

In most cases, the bores are not far enough out-of-round to be of any concern. But, if it were, the reading from one of these type of gages would not be indicative of actual out-of-round condition since it essentially averages the three points.

The two point measureing type of bore gage (which often also employs two other non-measuring spring assist plungers to center) is the only way to get actual values of out-of-round, if that is needed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And those two pointers are cheaper and more available in eight gauge sizes!! I think I'll get one of those in .750 to 1.000 for my eights and tens. The ones on the links to ebay are sure short though. I wonder if they come in 12" or 16" depth?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Murphy,
They have a simple tube and a rod to run the dial. A new longer tube and rod can be easily fabricated to any length desired. Buy an ebay used, quality name and you'll be happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.