Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all, I am hoping I can get some comments on the current market value of this Jeffery rifle. Reason for the valuation is the rifle's involvement in a potential trade.

Description: Jeffery, W.J. & Co. caliber .475 No 2, serial No. 227XX. Anson & Deeley boxlock action, full coverage scroll engraving on action, 90% original case colors, 24" original barrels, nitro proofed 500 gr bullet, 80 grains cordite. Excellent bores, plain stock wood. LOP 15 3/8" to replacement Silvers type pad 1" thick. Overall condition excellent.

I am aware of the similar rifles for sale at Champlin and William Larkin Moore, and I invite comparisons. Note that both of those have been restored, and also the difference in the straight vs. scalloped edge of the action metal.

I do apologize for the awful photos. The rifle is not currently available to me to get better shots.

All comments on valuation welcomed. I am particularly interested if anyone knows of any similar recent sales.

Thanks very much!

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice high condition gun. I would think at a big name dealer like Champlin's that rifle would be in the 40,000$ range. When guns are as nice as that one is it can be a bit hard to price them. Condition really is king and that is one nice rifle. Higher grade that average too. I have found that these type of guns tend to trade for slightly less on the private market, but that is just my take. Sure would be a fun gun to chase the big boys with.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Can the barrels really be original to the gun? Was H Leonard (the maker of the rifle) using Krupp barrels on his rifles?

I've just no idea if he was, not "bad mouthing" you or the rifle. $40,000 strikes me as high, although when push comes to shove I couldn't say conclusively one way or the other on that one as well.

Sooooo, glad to help out.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Was H Leonard (the maker of the rifle) using Krupp barrels on his rifles?

As far as I am aware, yes he was.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krupp made the steel for the barrels. Without showing the area of the hook we don't know that Leonard made the rifle.
Just IMO and without looking at the rifle personally I'd set my price at 25K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Leonard (and therefore Jeffery) used Krupp Guss-Stahl (ingot steel) and Fluss-Stahl (Fluid steel).
I believe that Guss-stahl is usually found on somewhat lower grades than Fluss-stahl.
However, this one gun looks very, very nice.
I think Leonard/Jeffery used Krupp almost exclusively on his doubles.

I often look at the dolls head fit and the breech face to get an indication of major use & rework on a gun.
This one does not look molested, but better pictures would help indeed...
I would say $20000 to 30000 depending on the details and who is selling it.
475#2 is not very popular compared to 470NE and an expensive round to reload.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, when it comes to Jeffery shotguns and rifles supposedly the bowed action back is the tip-off that Leonard made the gun. At least that's what I've read.

I first came across it in a Sherman Bell article. It especially caught my interest because my 12 bore Jeffery's action back is as such. Later on a member here corroborated this as fact as well when he commented on pictures of my Jeffery that I'd sent him, and then I read it somewhere else. I believe it was a DGJ article but not by Bell.

I brought this up in a post years ago and a couple of our British members chimed in their agreement of this "fact" as well as a whole lot more information on Leonard/Jeffery firearms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike - What's the Leonard identifier in "the area of the hook" that you mention?

Sidelock
Sidelock

KK, there is a Leonard number on the forend loop that is different from the Jeffery number.

As for the bow back, it is not necessary for the gun to be made by Leonard.
I have seen straight backs, circular backs (for the lack of a better wording) and notch backs from them.
I look at the general action style for more information.
Leonard guns have typically a round doll's head with some times but not very often a 3rd bite.
The general shape is quite different from a Webley or a Wilkes.
The action is on the short side (compared to Webley) but quite beefy.

Barrels are always chopper lumps.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The serial number puts our rifle at about 1922. However, I found these advertisements from 1926 on the Photobucket of Norman Poole. Hopefully it is not a problem to post them here. Clearly our rifle more closely resembles the "No. 2" advertisement, which is the higher grade one. It has the scalloped action back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.