April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

My one and only damascus gun, a Remington 1894 AE gets only Gamebore Blackpowder shells. If you have an olden gun, shoot old powder! Stay with the times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is extractor, Damascus and probably 1904. I usually shoot my low pressure loads through it but this past Vintager event at Orvis Sandanona at Millbrook, NY I shot in the black powder event. First time experience. What a hoot! Even more fun since it was a dark overcast day (and I mean real dark) and the huge bursts of fire and spinning falling smoke trails were a sight to see.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think mine is an '02 made gun?
Pretty fun shooting huh!
Along time ago, I purchased a bunch of Gamebores from Galazan's for one of my English damascus...the Americans are more fun tho'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by builder

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple of pics of my 1894. The stock was so black when I got it that you might think it was plastic, except for the dings and gouges. I had Craig Libhart grind down the damaged butt to keep the widow's peak so it could be made original again with a replacement butt pad and extend the length of pull.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dbadcraig

My shotgun appears to have the less desirable "twist" construction (photos below).
I have read elsewhere that it was common to fake the damascus pattern on fluid steel barrels of that era as damascus was regarded as higher quality. I would like to see photos of a replicated damascus barrel should anyone care to share.

According to contemporaneous advertising, the barrels on my shotgun were made in Belgium. I think Parker likewise used Belgian produced damascus. Many opine that the Belgian damascus was not as strong as the English damascus; however, it is interesting that American manufacturers resorted to the Belgian produced barrels and did so well into the smokeless powder era. After these Belgian barrels were delivered, does anyone know just how much work (e.g., join, regulate, bore and finish) was typically done in the United States to mate them to the shotgun? My Meriden bears no indication of factory proofing. Does this mean it was not proofed, or simply that some American manufactures did not mark their guns with a proof?

There is nothing less desirable about those barrels. The differences in jobber prices when they were produced leads to a lot of modern misconceptions. Look at it another way. With fewer welds, there is less to go wrong 100 years later.

The Belgians essentially tried to put an end to Faux Damas by instituting laws about what could be stamped on the barrels. The problem with period faux damascus is that in many cases inferior cold rolled steel tubes were painted over. These tubes have longitudinal welds that are known for splitting the length of the barrel. The very reason damascus was felt to superior was that it would not fail like this.

In general, American makers were no different that makers any where else at the time. They were constantly seeking out sources of competitively priced parts for their final product. The English had the ability and resources to be independent with regard to barrel making. None the less, a good deal of tonnage in raw tubes crossed the channel. American makers had to deal with the constantly changing tariffs of importing foreign products.

As far as Belgian proofs... If the tubes were in a final state (bore diameter with chamber) but yet unjoined, there was a proof required. If they were joined, but not yet fitted to a receiver, there was a proof required. So only the roughest tube could have been exported without at least 1 proof. On some Lefever barrels the makers marks can still be found. In general however, it is believed the makers marks and proof marks were filed away during the final shaping and fitting.

As for 100 year old companies and their proofing policy, I would love to see some documentation as well. For all the factory photos, I have never seen one of the proof room. Not saying it was not done... Yes, I know about Fox...

FAUX Damascus images

This 8 Bore sold for a substantial amount

If you are unsure about the damascus pattern being real, a touch of paint remover will almost always reveal the truth.

Interesting document about faux damascus
http://damascus.free.fr/f_damas/f_hist/liege.htm

Pete

Last edited by PeteM; 04/15/07 05:11 PM.
PeteM #36009 04/15/07 03:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot literally thousands of shells through my Bakers. They are both Twist and Damascus, depending what I am going to do that day. I have shot rd. after rd. of trap with these Bakers and brought down many doves. I reload and shoot 1oz. loads using mostly using Nitro 100 and Solo 1000. I have also used 7/8 oz. loads and they are sweet to shoot and may shoot allot more if them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug, if you reload, there is ample 12 ga. data for the Accurate Arms powders Dave mentions.

jack

rabbit #36036 04/15/07 07:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

builder, way better wood than mine - looks to be high grade wood found on higher grade 1894s!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.