May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tim Wolf), 508 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks

monty
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Image of both primers, and comparing the two visually, the blow-out shell primer is slightly proud of the plane of the bottom of the shell, and the copper component slightly bulged

I will measure the shell head as Joe suggested. In this image the left shell is slightly raised from the chamber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

I strongly question the appearance of that primer. It looks like classic cratering to me, and flattening at the edges, a sign of high pressure. I've seen this many times when working up max loads for a rifle.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Stan said.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 to Stan on the primer

Sidelock
Sidelock

So the load is a grain away from modern proof limits. Not much room for errors.

Stan is dead on. It appears the copper began to flow backwards around the firing pin. Clearly over pressure regardless of the age of the gun.

Pete

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I find the pic of the hull from the failed bbl. most interesting. It would appear that the cleaner green area w/the jagged tear was in solid contact w/the chamber wall at the time of failure & the 'less green' or 'frosted' portion was subject to burning powder gases [blow back?]. I would find that consistent w/Joe's observation of an expanded head at the uppermost head's [or 'brass'] edge. The fact that the torn area or 'clean green' outer portion of the hull does not show any signs of escaping powder gases is perplexing.

FWIW, I recently fired a 20 ga. Remington G.C. hull [previously several times reloaded] in a 12 ga. gun. It was NOT intentional. I have retained that fired hull. There are some similarities to the hull's outer appearance. My fired 20ga. Remington C.G. hull clearly has an expanded edge at the top of the head and also exhibits similarities in it's outer hull surface being 'frosted' in appearance and the mouth being split in several areas and clearly 'brittle'. I consider myself both lucky and fortunate that the Remington hull was sufficiently strong & well engineered to have withstood my stupidity; error, if you wanna be polite.

Is the chamber's dimension oversized toward the breech end? Could some earlier pits or corrosion have been removed from excessive honing? Just questions.

I have to ask myself if what we are looking at in this particular instance is not the result of an unsized hull minus the head from a previous round stuck in front of the fired round? That reads awkward at best. Said another way, if the previously fired reloaded round was previously fired in a substantively oversized chamber & not resized, could the metal head been ejected alone and the body of the hull become lodged directly in front of the fired round? Could it have been a loaded 20 w/the head still attached? Again, it is but another coupla questions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, thanks for the leg work and passion on this situation. Nothing but good can come from this.

I hesitate to add to what's been said, but agree the fired primer is definitely a clear clue to what's happened.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll add another thanks Doc Drew for following up.

I may be seeing it wrong, but I believe the fired primer on the right hand side of the pictures shows possible signs of higher pressure than the left blown side. I think that gun has been eating a steady diet of over pressure loads for some reason or another. If all the right components are there, maybe you'll find a bushing throwing a heavy charge.

If a dimension of the gun is causing the pressure signs, you may find similar in the other barrel. I'd still guess that barrel integrity could be questioned , and you may find signs of a bulge. I don't think the red rust has anything to do with this mishap, but I think there're signs of black oxidation or defects that might be preexisting from before the barrel let go.

If they're willing to chat about it, maybe ask the metallurgist why the grain of the steel on these failures seems to be very coarse. Please also pass along thanks to the shooter/owner. Interested to read what you come up with when those reloads come apart. Take care.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Wood and Stan are both correct about the suspicious appearance of the primers. I don't really know how the thickness and hardness of shotshell primer cups compare to rifle primers, so I don't know if valid comparisons can be made. But the sharp edge and seeming extrusion of primer cup material around the firing pin on the blown shell tell me this load, whatever it was, probably exceeded safe limits. I'd sure at least try to get my hands on all of the shells that were used from that particular box that day to measure and check for missing base wads, etc. I know that will depend on whether the shooter picked up all his empties, and what was done with them in the excitement of the aftermath. Thanks for continuing to share. You may never find the true cause, but it's important to at least try.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.