May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 770 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is there a consensus on utilizing steel shot and the newer tungsten shot in a Winchester Model 23 or a Browning BSS? The chokes are not an issue because of plans to have Briley tubes installed or having the chokes opened. I am concerned regarding barrel scoring and similar issues.

I would never think of running that stuff through my Win 21 or Ithaca NID's, but I looking to get a gun to travel with and not have issues with availability of Bismuth or Matrix at the destination.

According to Browning the BSS was not steel shot compatable.

Jeff

Jeff
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have read numerous threads about this and never have heard that Browning indicated the BSS should not be shot with Steel Shot. As I recall, with these guns it has been more of a matter of having open chokes rather than Full. I have a BSS Grade II 12 ga that has been my Duck gun since I bought it new in 1985. When I bought it I had the chokes opened from F & M to M and IC. I have put thousands of rounds of 3" Steel through it with no adverse effects.
Thanks,
Gordon

Gordon

If you don't fly first class, your heir's will!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thousands of rounds of steel! That is a heck of a lot of hunting! Where do you go?
David

NJ Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Copied today from Browning's website. I put item No. 3 in Bold.

Q. Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?
A. All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ringe bulge" just inches behind the muzzle. The damage to your gun is purely cosmetic, but the "bulge" can be a factor in resale, especially with collector-grade shotguns.

Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS: All Browning shotguns with the Invector choke or Invector-Plus tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.
2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT: The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)
3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS: The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

DAMAGE: In not all, but a number of instances a very slight ring will develop about 1 1/2" to 3" rearward of the muzzle. This ring is about .005 of an inch above the plane of the barrel, completely encircling the barrel. From our tests we could determine no adverse effect on pattern or shot velocity because of this ring. Our conclusion is that the most significant objection, the slight ring, is entirely cosmetic. This "ring" effect does not affect the function or safety of the firearm.

YEAR OF PRODUCTION: Nearly all Browning firearms manufactured after 1975 have two letters in the serial number. The two letters indicate the year of manufacture: M=0, Z=1, Y=2, X=3, W=4, V=5, T=6, R=7, P=8, N=9.

FUTURE: Obviously, we have no control over the ammunition companies and the loads they will produce in the future. So, if in doubt, please check with us or the ammunition company before using new loads in your shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is there any other Browning info that specifically mentions the BSS? When I bought mine in 1985, I was looking for a SxS that I could use with the newly infamous steel shot. I contacted Browning about these guns and they indicated that they didn't think there would be a problem.

I shoot almost exclusively at Tule Lake for ducks, geese and pheasants. I have been shooting this gun an average of 10-20 days/year for 21 years. I've never added it up, but 5 boxes a year for 21 years is over 2000 rounds, and when I think about it, I'm sure we have exceeded that. Especially if there is a good wind blowing. We used to get free ammo from Tom Roster when he was doing his blind tests on various ammo types to replace lead. Those were interesting studies. To participate, we didn't know whether we were given lead or steel and had to agree to account for every shot taken, and turn in the results of each shot. Miss,clean kill, cripple, recovered or not, etc. Lots of cripples with the early steel. The new steel is certainly a lot better than the early test loads.
Anyway, FWIW, that is my experience with the BSS. My gun has no barrel ring bulge.
Also, for many years, my hunting partner shot nothing but a fixed choke Citori from the early/mid 80's and had no problems with that gun as well.
Gordon

Boxlock
Boxlock

hi i have a browning citori , 1987. choked f/m. in 1997 when we had to go to steel or non toxic shot up here in canada i opened it to improved modified and have never had a problem. but after opening a rem 1100 barrel to skeet # 2 i got the best pattern with any size steel shot out to abot 35 yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the wads that have been developed for steel shot there does not seem to be any problems with the barrels all the way up to the chokes. At the choke is where problems can occur. There are many factors that come in to play here such as barrel steel hardness,choke angle, constriction and shot size. If the barrel starts to bulge at the choke in a double it can lossen the ribs. I personaly would shoot steel in an older steel barreled double but would have the best choke tubes installed that were steel shot compatable. Preferably the kind that have their greatest constriction occuring after it leaves the barrel. Some guns may not be able to have tubes installed cause of barrel wall thickness so then if you want to use that gun you will have to use tungsten matrix or bismuth.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I bought a 20 ga. BSS in 1978, choked full and modified. Took it to a Browning approved gunsmith, who shot it with a 1 oz. lead load and determined it to shoot 73% full, 69% modified. Typical tight Browning chokes.

He cut out the modified barrel to 35%, and said it was some of the best steel he had ever cut in a gun. He said there should be no problem with steel shot. He warned about large steel shot that could bridge at the constriction of the full choke and push through the shot collar. So I have stayed away from anything larger than #4 steel.

I have handloaded 3" Hevi-Shot in #6 and #4 with Ballistic Products components in Fiocchi hulls. Works fine, deadly on tough wild Iowa pheasants. I have handloaded #2 Hevi-Shot for a friend which he uses in his 20 ga. A-5 Magnum with imp. cyl. Invector chokes. No problems, though I warn him to keep checking
whether chokes turn out hard that would indicate peening of the threads from the big shot. He had been using #1 Federal steel loads to shoot early season geese in the face without any problems. (His calling allows that).

My 2 cents worth: 1) As long as you stay with smaller shot, there should be no problem at all with steel shot in your BSS. 2) Shoot Hevi-Shot at wild pheasants (if you can stand the cost). It cuts down the number of runners. 3)Use the same chokes as you would for steel.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would like to thank everyone for their input. It appears there are a significant number of fans of the BSS out there.

Are there any Winchester 23 fans out there that are using steel or tungsten in their guns? I would kike to hear from you because I am leaning towards a 23 for a traveling gun (if I can find a double trigger with the long enough barrels).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.