May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Chuck H, David Williamson), 459 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#35400 04/11/07 11:00 PM
postoak Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need advice on what type of Recoil Pad Jig to purchase, or build. Or should a good Craftsman be able to do a good job without a Jig ?

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

postoak #35401 04/11/07 11:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been using one like the B-Square Brownells sells for many years and like it.

> Jim Legg <

postoak #35559 04/13/07 07:07 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never used one, as I grind all my pads on the gun. Using a jig, I am pretty certain you still need to do the final trimming by hand anyway; the big advantage is that there's no chance of hitting the finish with the disc. With a good strong light and a good wobble-free disc sander, you can reduce the possibility of messing up the stock finish. I think you'll get cleaner toe and heel angles on the pad if you grind it installed on the stock. Just may way of doing it, not nesessarily the right way; works for me.

postoak #35560 04/13/07 07:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never used one, as I grind all my pads on the gun. Using a jig, I am pretty certain you still need to do the final trimming by hand anyway; the big advantage is that there's no chance of hitting the finish with the disc. With a good strong light and a good wobble-free disc sander, you can reduce the possibility of messing up the stock finish. I think you'll get cleaner and more accurate toe and heel angles on the pad if you grind it installed on the stock. Just may way of doing it, not nesessarily the right way; works for me.

postoak #35561 04/13/07 07:08 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never used one, as I grind all my pads on the gun. Using a jig, I am pretty certain you still need to do the final trimming by hand anyway; the big advantage is that there's no chance of hitting the finish with the disc. With a good strong light and a good wobble-free disc sander, you can reduce the possibility of messing up the stock finish. I think you'll get cleaner and more accurate toe and heel angles on the pad if you grind it installed on the stock. Just may way of doing it, not nesessarily the right way; works for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The one I choose is sold by Brownell and is a fixture that hangs from an inverted "J" shaped rod. It can be adjusted to accomidate all angles of the stock. This fixture has been sold ny Brownell for decades and in my opinion is the best ---- I have tried them all. The one I own was purchased around 40 years ago from the makers in Norfolk , Va.before they were sold by Brownell --- never had a minutes problem with it.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Used a hand drill with a rubber support and sand paper disc. Then finished by hand.
Rather satisfied with the result. It was my first.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
JayCee #35578 04/13/07 09:46 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Craig. You have to be careful but it works for me to.

Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have in my shop a B-Sqare jig, Sanding disc, (forgot the brand name) one from Brownell's, and of course hand tools made for this job. All have their pros and cons. Again, these are tools in the hands of willing people. Even today, a stone axe will cut wood.

I guess it would stand to reason there is no better way than another. It is the person using the fixture that will determine whether or not the job is done well. The people above have proven their ability to do a good job. Now it is your turn. Go slow and don't be in a hurry. You will do well. Buy the tool you like the most and then learn to use it to it's best advantage.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always admired the one Ken uses. However, I bought one from Brownell's several years ago and the way it was assembled, the rods were not perpendicular to the base, so that the pad would have been cut crooked, all the way around. I sent it back and never tried again. Do you have to adjust it only once or once for the straight angles like the heel and sides and then change it for the toe angle? Does it have to be used on a big disc sander or will a wide belt work as well?
Thank you

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.