April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, Fudd, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Off center screw is typical of Webleys.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 01/24/14 06:36 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Daryl. Just to clarify that what I am referring to is not about the two screws in the top lever - a larger screw and a smaller off center screw behind it - my question was about the large off center screw on the tang just ahead of my thumb in the photo. Are we talking about the same thing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the screw [offset]that goes through the top tang.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ok. Thanks!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Striking similarities to the Cogswell & Harrison Avant Tout ...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well it certainly is a beautiful gun. Japanese? English Best Maker? Even if by some twist of fate that were the case, without the appropriate markings the gun might as well be Japanese. I do agree that the engravings appear to be by hand, due to the slight lack in uniformity. If someone bought a Webley & Scott out the back door of the factory, and somehow it went out missing the makers mark - it would never be viewed by the market as a Webley & Scott even though the original buyer would know that to be the case.

Did the fellow in Japan tell you WHY he thought the gun was of that particular gun house? Specific markings? Surely his guess was based on more than general appearance.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your observations and thoughtful comments. The "Japanese connection" was started earlier in this thread with perhaps the most poignant factor being the long serial number on the action flats and the various "look alike" only English marks.
The high quality of the walnut in this sporting weapon, however admittedly does not match the "Japanese copies" of English shotguns. When I wrote to Hamada I simply told them that it had been suggested that this gun was Japanese and if so could he identify the year and the manufacturer - as you can gather from his response - there is simply no clarity on this... I can tell you that this gun (whatever it maybe) leaves absolutely nothing to be desired to a Webley high grade boxlock shotgun. The engraving is certainly all hand executed with tight checkering and the wood to metal fit is outstanding. Here are some photos for comparison to a high grade Webley BLE (alternate Webley first and the shotgun in question):

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[quote=LuisHunter1]Here is another e-mail from Hamada following some more specific questions:
"...it just seems like some shotguns ssen here in Japan long ago with wood really very much good for sure nice gun enjoy."

Shugo Hamada
Hamada & Son Ltd.

Would anyone out there be able to identify what this type of walnut actually is on this shotgun (walnut type, geographic origin..etc (perhaps this migh be a clue) - it seems that Mr. Hamada has never seen this type of high grade walnut on Japanese shotguns "of long ago".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only when there is a horse shoe around the top lever axis.
This is not a screw grip... At least, not by Webley.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

The checkering is the most noticeable difference I see. Your gun has a rather unique style with the overlapping layers of straight lines. Almost like a tennis racket without the weaves, or music strings. I'd be interested to know if the other guys with Japanese guns have this same style of checkering, or if their guns have one of the more traditional styles.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.