March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, battle, trw999, Argo44, 1 invisible), 362 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick,
My PG cap is horn but smooth like my Wundhammer. I am sending Fred some photos for him to post.
One of PG cap, one of square hole in front of TG and one of the bottom of the forend checkering that you talked about earlier.
Dan

DanLH #371842 07/07/14 09:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are the pictures

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

First I would like to thank PhysDoc for posting the photographs.

The checkering pattern on the forend appears to be exactly as mine with the narrow border separating the two panels.

The square hole appears to be the same size as the one on my rifle, and in the same location on the guard bow.

The grip cap is different, mine is shaped very much like the steel caps that were used on Griffin & Howe rifles, but as I stated earlier, is made of horn.

The strong similarities of the two rifles does suggest they were constructed, or at least stocked by, the same person.

Thanks, and best regards,

Rick

Fair winds and a fast ship.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick,
The stock similarities plus the roller behind the sear would say that the whole rifle was done by the same person.
How about some photos of your rifle for the forum??
Dan

Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

I do not have the equipment to post photographs on the forum. I do appreciate the time you have taken to compare the two rifles, they are both interesting.

Thanks, and best regards,

Rick

Fair winds and a fast ship.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rick,

Do you have any idea what the palm rest base would look like to fit the square hole and the threaded hole in the TG?

Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am reviving this thread in hopes that someone out there may know who Rick who went by the name of What Cheer is. I would very much like to get some info on his Pope barreled rifle that he talks about. After Michael's passing, I now have the King made Pope barreled rifle talked about and it was owned by W D Murphy of Pasadena. I have wondered if maybe he also once owned the above 22. What brought this on now is that I just bought an '03 T rifle that was sold by the Govt to W D Murphy and it has a lot of the same characteristics as the 22. I won't have the new rifle for a week or two but will then post some more photos.
Dan

Last edited by DanLH; 06/23/22 11:41 PM. Reason: miss typed name
Boxlock
Boxlock

Dan,

Interesting Model of 1922 you have. I am an avid 1922 collector and have several, including a Model of 1924 International Match that is 1 of 12 built for the US Rifle Team in 1924. It is also documented as 1 of the 8 that went to Paris for the 1924 Olympics. Four of these eight were used in the 50M off-hand event, but unfortunately, no documentation has surfaced identifying which four were shot in competition.

My interest in these rifles has lead me to doing a lot of internet data minding. One thing I have researched and collected is the where-about of the original 2020 Model of 1922's. Thus far I have collected info on about 130 rifles, including your rifle, SN 295. I found it on an icollector page when it was listed for auctioned by Little John's Auctions in November 2013. What catch my attention was the aluminum hooked butt-plate and double-set triggers, both features found on the 1924 IM rife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My initial thought was that it might have been a rare Outdoor Match rifle, but I do not believe that now. From your added photos it definitely appears to have been a Model 1922 customized for competition. I also wonder if the threaded barrel was for an early bloop-tube to extend the sight radius. I can see no logic to use a silencer on this type rifle, unless it spent time in England. Rifles used at indoor ranges in England were required to use silencers. I recently had a nice Mossberg Model 42M(b) that was a WW2 lend/lease rifle. It was eventually threaded by Parker Hale for that very reason.

You mentioned that you installed a Lyman 17 front sight. Did you notice the rear stud is installed slightly rearward of its original position. I can see that it now obscures part of the barrel markings. If the barrel was threaded to add an extension, the stud would have been removed to not block the extended front sight.

Thanks for sharing.

Art

Last edited by xtcshooter; 09/20/22 02:08 PM.
DanLH #620471 10/10/22 05:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well done welding job indeed. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.