May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chantry, Toby Barclay, 3 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,656
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we went off the trail so to speak Canvasback, shame on us. smile

But that is interesting, how does the average guy living in Europe get a frickin brand new shotgun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

British and European hardware stores and provincial gun shops were also supplied with low grade guns in set dimensions and with minimal finish or engraving, to be used by farmers as tools. A variety of grades fulfilled this need - old gun factory catalogues illustrate them well and price them too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
What's a Stevens? laugh

Like'n to Teddy bOys Mosse'turd shotgun....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
British and European hardware stores and provincial gun shops were also supplied with low grade guns in set dimensions and with minimal finish or engraving, to be used by farmers as tools. A variety of grades fulfilled this need - old gun factory catalogues illustrate them well and price them too.

The English never intended farmers to have guns as tools...who you kidding ?.....Yourself

What you're referring to as English and Belgium made hardware guns were junk before they left the hardware store.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really? I don't understand your post Joe. I'm saying English hardware store guns of low grade are common.

As for the quality comparison between English made 'hardware store guns' and American ones and their respective places in today's market, well, that would be another thread.

Posters were speculating about European hardware store guns, so I wanted to confirm their existence as commonplace at the same time American ones dominated the US domestic scene.

Last edited by Small Bore; 01/14/14 11:16 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry but you guys never had a wild west....

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had India and Africa. And have you ever been to Northern England in the winter?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had India and Africa. And have you ever been to Northern England in the winter?

Dig, he's never been out of his mom's basement. At least he doesn't pester her so much since she got him that dial up connection.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I'm afraid the rest of it becomes a comparison of blondes or redheads which won't get us anywhere. However, for every Parker 16 in the dimensions quoted by our friend from Texas, the same concern built dozens of 12s with 30" full x full choke barrels, that had 3" of drop in the stock, and weighed in excess of 7 3/4 lbs. They were by no means alone, here in the US, in that endeavor, either.

It is difficult to find a gun with those same dimensions built anywhere on the other side of the pond. Because that style of shotgun isn't all that useful.
Ted

Except for the sling swivel and and an open right choke I use a gun like just like that for a rainy day upland gun and a field trial gun. It works great in both those functions. I am fifty-nine and the 7-3/4 pounds is becoming too heavy for my creaky shoulders to carry, even on a sling, but it is very effective in those upland pursuits. A very appropriate configuration for someone that could only afford one quality gun. Say for ducks, geese, deer, rabbits, quail, pheasant, grouse, coyotes, and fox.

As far as 15 x 1-1/4 x 1-7/8 being the only acceptable dimensions for good shooting you, along with tens of thousand of others, have fallen prey to the marketing guys again; "Oh, you need ejectors to be effective," "Oh, you need a high stock to shoot well," "Have to have an over and under to shoot really well," "Oh! Need 32 inch barrels - like Digweed," "Have to have adjustable comb," "34 inch barrels are a must," "Need an adjustable rib," "Need adjustable barrel weights," "Need adjustable trigger pulls," ad infinitum. And those Darnes you (and I) hold in such high esteem were generally stocked in the same dimensions of the Parkers you are disparaging (Pre-WWII). And my AHE20 and BHE16 both have over 2-3/4" drop.

It seems I remember a fairly recent post about you having a Darne restocked to the currently fashionable high stock dimensions. Bet that Darne is the envy of all your trap shooting friends.

And I am not a wearer of suspenders. 185 pounds of rippling muscle does fine with a belt.

My specs on gunstocks are no-where near that high-I was just looking for 1 1/2 DAC and 2 1/2 DAH, but, that seems to be a lot to ask of the typical old Yank double for some reason. The Darne is a 26" barreled, straight stocked, cyl/improved cyl grouse gun, and the notion of using it for trap is laughable.
It was restocked with a straight grip because thats what I like-and someone sawed about 6" off the original stock. That stock went into a wood stove in St. Etienne, France as that is all it was suitable for.

I haven't been brainwashed by anybody. And I don't try to make antique gun dimensions suit my shooting. You want to do that, by all means feel free.
One question though-does that 3" drop Parker of yours have a carridge bolt through the head of the stock, holding it together?

A lot of 'em do. Just wondering.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for clarifying that, Dig. Would you happen to know if it was similar in Europe? I'm thinking France, Germany, Austria, Benelux and the Nordic countries.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.