Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
GaryD007 #353079 01/13/14 07:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've dealt with allot of dealers over the past 25 years. I think the "Good Guy" list is very long. There is only one dealer that I won't go back to.
terc

Boxlock
Boxlock

Have dealt with John Allen, Charlie Phleger,and most recently Mark Beasland and found all to be good sources for both information and double guns ...
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buying a used gun is much like buying a used car. You are most likely an amateur dealing with a pro. Go in with your eyes open, ask questions and get educated before you spend your money. the more you really know the less likely you will have a deal go sideways. And sometimes a deal just does and it is nobodies fault. Some hidden flaw which no one sees or something breaks shortly after the sale and instant unhappy buyer.

I dealt with five or six dealers who list here and never had a problem with any sale. Buying a gun is much like a marriage. Sometimes it works out, sometimes you need a divorce and sometimes you just wish you never met in the first place. thing is to just move on and do better the next time or stop and never buy again so there will be more for me to choose from.

gjw #353087 01/13/14 08:46 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Best I've dealt with is Charlie at Hill Rod & Gun.
Greg
yep.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with GaryD007 - Kirby Hoyt at Vintage Doubles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I get real cautious if a dealer tells me he doesn't have a bore or wall thickness gauge and know how to use them.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will second Larry's recommendation of Mark's Born Again Birdguns. You can usually find several of whatever level you want to spend and he let's you out of there with gas money!

James M #353119 01/13/14 11:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Since the last half dozen guns I bought were off of Backpage ads and purchased at "My Office" which is the local McDonalds parking lot; I guess I have to say McDonalds is my favorite dealer. I purchased a mint condition Colt Trooper there while eating a Big Mac but you have to be careful about getting any sauce on the finish! grin
Most of the other guns I buy are from vendors at shows. Most of the major dealers(Cabelas excepted) including William Larkin Moore set up at our large gun show so there's no reason to go shop to shop.
As an aside:
I used to love going to Mandall's Shooting Supplies in downtown Scottsdale. Marty, the owner now deceased, was a real hoot. I bought a W.C. Scott SLE from Mandalls when they auctioned off the inventory.
Jim

I was too young to really know Marty, but he was, as you say, a hoot. Wish I could have attended that auction.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
Since the last half dozen guns I bought were off of Backpage ads and purchased at "My Office" which is the local McDonalds parking lot; I guess I have to say McDonalds is my favorite dealer. I purchased a mint condition Colt Trooper there while eating a Big Mac but you have to be careful about getting any sauce on the finish! grin
Most of the other guns I buy are from vendors at shows. Most of the major dealers(Cabelas excepted) including William Larkin Moore set up at our large gun show so there's no reason to go shop to shop.
As an aside:
I used to love going to Mandall's Shooting Supplies in downtown Scottsdale. Marty, the owner now deceased, was a real hoot. I bought a W.C. Scott SLE from Mandalls when they auctioned off the inventory.
Jim

I was too young to really know Marty, but he was, as you say, a hoot. Wish I could have attended that auction.

I'll give you an example. As the auction company(Greg Martin) was in the process of setting up Marty was running around behind them pulling guns out of the auction and putting them in his car.
I spent several thousand dollars at that auction and in retrospect I wish I would have spent more. The deals guys were getting were amazing.
For example: I bought 3 brand new rifle scopes that were without boxes and bundled together with rubber bands for $75. They had many of these bundles in the sale. When I got them home one was a Leupold with the $475 price tag still on it. The other two were nice scopes each in the $200 range.
The guy sitting next to me bought the finest Sauer double I've ever seen for a song and the auction company threw in a graded L C Smith with Damascus barrels!

Last edited by italiansxs; 01/14/14 08:51 AM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Precision Reloading forum, HQ in Dubai, has a shotgun thread that has an interesting comment on a dealer, ummm, previously known on this forum......worldwide fame!

hippie redneck geezer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.