April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (LeFusil, David Williamson, graybeardtmm3, Mills, Parabola, dearmer), 227 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,029
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34876 04/08/07 04:53 PM
Dan D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi - I am in the Air Force stationed in Japan, where I’ve come across a lot of shotguns (mostly sxs and o/u) that you don't see much in the states. A recent find has stumped me, though. It is an o/u 12 ga with some pretty detailed engraving, and what looks like was a pretty nice stock at one point. It’s marked “B.C. My Luck” on the bottom of the reciever, and “Model OL” on the side of the receiver. The dealer says that this gun is sold as a Merkel in the US, was made in 1960, and has some collector’s value. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture.

At first I thought maybe it was an older Charles Daly (sold as B.C Miroku in Japan), but I can’t seem to find anything in the Blue Book, or anywhere on line to support either claim. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan,
I think there's a phonetics issue. I'm sure he means Miroku, not Merkel.

As a service brat in the sixties, I spent time at Yokota and Misawa. Are you at either of these bases?

Dan D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'm at Misawa - great duck hunting here!

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Luck was an earlier name used on a few shotguns imported to the US by Miroku. I am not familiar with all their model numbers, but all that I have seen have been nicely done and valued about the same as the Miroku guns, Charles Daly guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember a few articles on Miroku guns mentioning these as one of, if not the earliest, model imported to the US.

the comments summarized as roughly "nice gun, bad name" and correspondingly it was a commercial failure here.

Courtesy of a WOMBAT
* (Waste Of Money Brains And Talent)

YMMV
Sidelock
Sidelock

LeeS,
This is a Miroku made model OS from the mid-60s, marketed by the Kawaguchiya Firearms Co. Good gun. I see them here in $800-1000 range, sometimes a bit more or less.

Happy Easter and thanks for serving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KFC, no, not the Colonel, marketed some interesting side by sides also, including the odd 32" model, a great pigeon gun. I knew there must be great duck hunting somewhere in Japan because of all the guns I see engraved there with ducks flying over an open ocean being pointed by English Setters standing on a sandy shore.

Dan D Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you all for the help. I thought it was probably a Miroku, but I wasn't sure. It kind of looks like a lot of KFC designs (pretty similiar to the one above), so it wouldn't suprise me if it was an early Miroku marketed by Kawaguchiya (who I just found out later marketed KFC's in the 80's). Makes sense!

Thanks again!
-Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finger lickin' good guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a MY Luck that is the spittin' image of Burmingham BLNE game gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.