May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Hammergun, Guy Ave, R Reynolds, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 836 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, the tested strength of the wire is 160,000 psi. Although Roebling had requested 180,000 psi, he got American suppliers who cheated on the quality. The safety factor allowed the inclusion.And it still stands. Many ,if not most old boilers,failed not because of jacket strength, but because of lack of water. If water is then reintroduced, it touches red-hot iron.There is immediate decomposition to hydrogen and oxygen.The resultant recomposition will blow the tube or the boiler.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Regarding Williams last post I have heard the vast majority of bursts on the old agricultural traction engines (steam) was from low water. If the area over the fire-box known as the Crown Sheet was allowed to get "Dry" as William said it soon became red hot & lost the strength to hold the pressure which caused it to blow down into the fire box, & of course the engineer was right there behind the firebox, possibly even with the door open feeding fuel at the time. A few years back an engine blew at a major steam threshers reunion & I believe this was decided to be the cause.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah that Haigh guy sounded like a used car salesman trying to pull the wool over on Emmy. 'had to add another 250 strands from what I read. 160ksi is nothing to sneeze at, certainly 180 would have been pretty special. Pretty hard stuff in the day, especially for the use. They must have got it right to stand the test of time, not only for strength but must have kept the loading very low to avoid fatigue all these years. Of course, today 160ksi or even 180 is fairly medium strength stuff and can be obtained with a medium carbon steel with something like .40 carbon.

On the boilers, I saw a "Dirty Jobs" episode where they were cleaning a ship boiler for it's annual crack inspection required by the Coast Guard.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps 160k does not impress.But,that was 120 years ago. Even now it has not gone to 300k for bridge work. The boiler does not have to be dry.Even the most itty bitty bubble that occurs and does not take the heat away will allow ultra heat with the resulting damage to the tube.The big ones run at 1000F+ and up to 3500psi for the steam. BTY,since drawn wire was so strong,that is why there was serious consideration to wire bound big guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill,
You underestimate my surprise. Although, thinking about it, this was at the height of the industrial revolution when most of the fundamental modern steel processes were developed.

That work the Zircon embarked on was to provide a looking glass back into the steel making of the early 20th century. I suspect he'll find pretty sophisticated alloys similar to modern stuff. Modern (contemporary) shotguns really haven't used much in the way of the very modern metals for the most part. I think purity is where there's been a lot of work, although we find very small inclusions at failure initiations in very expensive Vac-Arc alloys like 300M and HiTuff.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.