April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, Dan R, 67galaxie, 2 invisible), 830 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have recently acquired a Holland and Holland hammer toplever Paradox that I am renovating. Barrels are original 28" length and 1/4 rear rib for rear sight and side clips. There is however a major problem. Unfortunately sometime in its history the choke rifling has been removed, out to bore diameter leaving cylinder bores in both barrels. I presume this was done to enable the firearm to be held on a shotgun certificate in the UK, as the bores are otherwise mirror and bright. My question is now what is best to do with this situation? Do I leave as is both cylinder bores, have them both threaded for thin wall choke tubes or is there a way to have paradox rifling inserts reinstalled in the barrels to return to as original?
Thank you for your experienced opinions.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a shame. I don't know of anyone successfully restoring the choke rifling once it has been removed. The Holland paradox was an improvement over the smooth bore "ball and shot" gun which was used for essentially the same purpose as a paradox. Your gun may still function well as a round ball gun. Can you post some photos of the gun and the choke area?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Deer Creek,

If there is ample stock, your barrel thickness in the last several inches from the muzzle, I don't see why you couldn't have one or even both of your barrels bored and threaded to accept choke tubes, rifled or other. If wanted, carefully fitting (holding close tolerances) with the correct precautions to ensure that it or they are in for good along with the removal and flushing off of any slots or standing lugs used for installation would leave you with nothing more than a fine ring at the muzzle as trace that you have inserts. One could even "age" the finish at the muzzle to make the modification even less evident. If all this is within reason, financially, I'd say go for it and use the gun as it was intended.

Merry Christmas!

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always wondered about this problem. Have you called Jess Briley and asked him if he could reproduce the rifled section as a tube and then install as a permenant tube section. It would be worth the call. Roger Lake has all the specifications for the engineering to cut a tube to reproduce the ratchet rifeling sectin.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some Hastings 12 gauge rifled chokes if you want to turn them down and make inserts. My contact info is in my profile.

Here is my 16 gauge Paradox, a bit later than yours.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My vote is to leave as is and use as a ball gun.

Terry,
Is that the original stock on your 16?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, the gun had been very poorly restocked in India. James Tucker in Medford, Oregon restocked it for me.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty nice job. Were the barrels sound?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrels are sound; they were a bit frosty, but not pitted.

Steven Dodd Hughes is going to have it in his next Shooting Sportsman article. The current issue features the roots of the Paradox.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I believe I may have had a look at this gun a couple months ago and passed on it because I couldn't imagine how the rifling could be restored. Would be the same gun if it came from the Burlington area. Good luck with it. I like the idea of discussing the problem with Briley.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.