May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Chantry, Hammergun, Guy Ave, R Reynolds, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 836 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34846 04/08/07 01:35 PM
murphy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When recently reading one of my older dgj's vol 12 issue 3 Autumn 2001, pg. 143, I often wonder, what is the cost of this recondition vs value of gun after recondition? In this case the entire stock needed replacing etc. I know sometime its worth it from a asthetic point of view and not necessarily from a value point of view. I do really like the DGJ magazine but wish that some time they would give at least 'ball park' dollar values on guns shown and also the ball park cost to redo guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For a side lock I would expect to find the cost of a restock in the $2,000-3,000.00 range plus the cost of the blank. Makes in hard to do for any but the better grades. Why spend two-three grand on a gun worth one grand? Good work takes time and money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Same as in classic car restorations much more is usually spent on what can be recovered. I am in the process of haveing a gun restocked and possibly may have all the metal parts redone also. It is totally a losing venture........Oh well.

If the stock is O.K., one can usually have a complete refinish done for $1,000 to $1,500. If the stock is to be relaced, the cost about doubles. Often you will want the chokes opened and the forcing cone lengthened.

I've had a few done "just because I wanted to." I've been very pleased with the end product and enjoy hunting with these restored old SxS's. However, they are/were all money-losing projects.

Personally, I don't enjoy hunting with ugly guns. or those that show their 70 year history. To me it is more fun if they look like they left the factory last month.

If you have an older SxS redone, and then use pleasantly it for 10 or 15 more years, perhaps it "costs" you $70 a year (extra) on an amortized basis. That seems reasonable to me.

If you can afford it, and understand you will lose money on any restoration SxS, then go ahead and ENJOY!

Jerry Goldstein

murphy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry6, Thats what I think also but was wondering if people come out in the redo, I did not think they could but if you enjoy the gun, it sounds great to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd rather carry a used gun than new any day. Friends will ask why carry an old double and my answer is usually "They're wonderfully made and a part of my history. I like to be around what I come from." Guns friends show up within a season or two are sometimes surprising and always satisfactory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it is a solid gun, its always worth keeping it original.
Remember, the gunsmith charges more than brain surgeons do.

murphy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just traded a Fox AE 1911, that had been restocked, the stock fit nicely but the checkering was poor. I traded the Fox for a Ithaca Crass grade 2 in excellent condition with Damascus barrels, also ordered case of Vintager low pressure shells to use with this gun. It is a real beauty and I look forward to using it soon.

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had or having three Lefevers re done. Here are some costs and I hope it is helpful.
Wood
Re do stock, no checking $200 and up. I have done two of these myself, each one comes out better. Waiting period up to 2 years
Re-stocking inletting $300 to $500 waiting period up to 2 weeks to 1 years. Restocking after inletting $1000 to $6000 - wood costs $150 up
recut checking $100 , $200, up depending on patern.

Metal
Anealing $30 and up two weeks to
Sanding metal to prepair for engraving - several very boring days, the first one was okay, the second much better. $60 and up
Engraving $180 per day, $30 an hour and up. My last off the cuff bid was one day per side. Price depends on engraver...
Case harding $150 up
Barrels $200 up for damascus browning Dings $5 and up. re-solder rib $200 up.
When I get all four guns finished I will have two that fit me, two with original stocks that do not, and the will probably be not worth that much more than I bought the guns for except one of them. All four will be nice and will show six different craftman's work.
Would I do another one - probably. Did I feel the money was well spent yes Did my kids feel it was money well spent definitely NO. As for my wife, perhaps, it kept me in the basement.
Advise: make one or two guns to fit you. After that have them built to fit the average fellow.
Time has a lot of value especially as you get older, try to get a date of completition before starting a project and work with a person who works in order. I cancelled one rifle because I kept getting put behind a very important person. It was a six to nine month job, but those guys from hOLLYWOOD just need another rifle and I could wait. _ after two years I cancelled the job.

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jas care to post pictures of the Lefevers? What grades are they? Sounds really nice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.