May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Tim in PA, NTaxiarchis, Jimmy W, PALUNC, Der Ami, SKB), 594 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,501
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
775 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a stock I finished with Linseed oil/Turpentine/Japan dryer and waxed with Linseed/Turps/Beeswax. After going at the barrel today at the range with all sorts of cleaners I would like to go over the stock with a cleaner and then rub a little fresh oil in(if it will take throught the wax?)

Suggestions please?

Thanks,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd use the same linseed/ turps solution on a clean terry cloth, then wipe the excess off. This should lift whatever grime you have accumulated before rubbing a couple of coats of new finish in.

775 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Hansli for the suggestion, do you think that will neutralize any of the bore cleaner that might have gotten on the wood.....half tempted to go at it with a very diluted Murphy's Oil Soap solution, but have heard some opinions that would give me second thoughts.

I do not see any sour spots, just trying to be cautious.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure how bad a penetration problem you really have, I wouldn't worry about it. The terry fabric will give you a little scrubbing power that should remove the majority of the pollution and since you're using the the mother solution, any irregularities will be gently blended. Don't forget to wipe dry as possible the cleansing app. I'd avoid any other liquid, especially anything with water.

775 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Hansli, all good.

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before I re-oil a stock, I usually (if it's real dirty) wipe it down with mineral spirits, and give the checkering a light scrub with a toothbrush. This gets off all the grease from your hands and miscellaneous crud from the field, and it will remove just about any cleaning solvent that may have gotten on the wood. Will leave the wood looking a bit dry, but the re oiling takes care of that, and you don't build up a thick finish. The guys on the Parker site really like Murphy's oil soap, but they are a gentle lot.

Oh, and the mineral spirits will remove the wax so that your new oil will penetrate. Don't forget to oil the metal bits after cleaning with spirits.

Last edited by Replacement; 04/07/07 12:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought an old MDL 52 for $75 that had what looked to be a tar finish. After rubbing it with 0000 steel wool and linseed oil, and wiping up the mess it came back very nicely.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second Replacement's method as either an alternate or primer. Mineral spirits is a gentle solvent and lifts trash without attacking any cured finish I know of. The tooth brush in the checkering deserves note as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mineral spirits cuts through the wax so that's good
You could also cut through all the crud and grime with car body 'T' cut and when clean and dry re-apply a LIGHT coat of oil finish, rubbing it out VERY well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apply boiled linseed oil to a polishing cloth then dip the oiled cloth into rotten stone polishing powder of the finest grade[feels like flour]. You will be amazed how polishing with this combination lifts oil,grease and dirt from the surface of the wood whilst at the same time restoring the polished finish.
As previously suggested, use a tooth brush to clean the checkering.
Dispose of any cloth coated in linseed oil in water, because linseed oil has the ability to create spontainious combustion.

Roy Hebbes

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.