April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (FallCreekFan, Tim in PA, 1 invisible), 445 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,202
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the gun, its simplicity and nice clean lines. Lastly, I agree with Stan's .410 comments, it'd make a lovely .410!

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

So basically you have a double barrel semi hammerless gun that is based on a single barrel design lever work like a Bikal, hammers like several others including Webley ,BSA and a couple of others I can not remember the names of .
Fun to do as project but that's about all .I can see no commercial future and I do not think it would be safe or strong enough for a rife as suggested ..All credit for actually building it .

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the concept, contour the hammers to look a little more conventional and add an internal dust cover to keep debris from behind the hammers while your negotiating heavy cover would work. Adding a shoe to the lifter like an old Parker would look good although I do like the idea of a side lever.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all, I am grateful for the input. It is hard to be a judge of your own design, so a third party angle is always useful.

Mentenegrin- the guys over at Nitroexpress are looking into the rifle ability. The solid bar and round bolt are strong enough for medium intensity cartridges at around 40 000 psi, a mod is needed to prevent bolt bounce and a solution is available.

Stan- the long hammer tails cover the hammer slots when uncocked. THe stock can be pulled in seconds and the action cleaned- airhosed but it is a concern, which is balanced by the simplicity of the manual cocking. If trash is a problem there is always the self cocking underlever option.

Billwolfe- yes the Ideal, alond with the Dickson and the Dominion were the inspiration for a round shape. It was hard to decide just how round so that it looks good but sits comfortably in the arm when carried.

tw- arthritis is my concern too. The stud needs no active pressing, letting the weight of the gun onto it is enough (in the prototype anyway) to open it. A shoe is in the plans.

bbman- a long tang would mean two screws added and harder to pull the stock. It is possible to add a separate long tang to keep the fast stock removal feature and have a long tang too.

Rockdoc- no problem going to a smaller caliber design wise. The worry is the non toxic shot regulations. If they impose a blanket non toxic shot rule in Europe then 20 gauge is about the smallest practical option.

gunman- it is not a commercial venture as stated in the write up. Baikal I assume you mean the IZ18, a lever cocker pressed to cock, there is not much in common there. The BSA Single XII design and its hammer tail dust cover was part of the inspiration, but that design cannot be adapted to a SXS, I know cause I tried. It uses a integral one piece trigger-sear that limits spacing the hammers (tumblers) at the right distance. This one has separate trigger blades and sears. Look more towards Winchester Model 21, and the Blanch Removable Trigger (Philips patent) and the French Jupiter for the source.

Any design is a compromise and a balance between often conflicting features. Here the two overriding values (after safety) were external elegance and mechanical simplicity. It is a poor mans Round Action if you like. It can be turned into a conventional layout barrel cocking ejector, but then the cost would skyrocket and the simplicity would be lost. It would be just another hammerless ejector, probably more commercially appealing but less unique.

Soon I will know about a barrel source, which would be the first step towards making the "real" one. Fingers crossed.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

oskar- it can be turned into a side pedal opener in about 10 minutes with no special tools. I love side pedals till the time comes to fit them to a case! IF only I can figure a way to fold them out of the way!

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It reminds me of a Ruger Gold Label, which I like, but the semi-hammerless design does not make sense to me. As was said earlier, it appears that dirt and water could get down in the receiver. Also, the monobloc and barrel junction is ugly. I've seen that on French guns and I've never understood why. Aside from that, kudos on an interesting SxS platform.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
oskar- it can be turned into a side pedal opener in about 10 minutes with no special tools. I love side pedals till the time comes to fit them to a case! IF only I can figure a way to fold them out of the way!

I like sidelevers, too. In keeping with the minimalist approach a toe-under case would be ideal for the sidelever.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

eeb- the monobloc step was necessitated by the available tube diameters. The actual, if it happens, will have a faired contour.

Semi hammerless is for simplicity. So far, handling the prototype, feels easy. If it proves inconvenient it can be made into an underlever self cocker. But then a safety will have to be fitted. Pluses and minuses.

The Ruger never made it to Europe.One person who handled one in a hunting show in Belgium reported that it felt solid and well balanced. Being a round action form it must be graceful enough. The stainless action is an interesting idea though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The open hammers are an obvious deal breaker. And the trigger guard is beyond devoid of grace.

All in all it looks like the answer to the question no one has asked.

JMO of course

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

What I would like know if this real or a exercise!?the shotgun looks like a
gold label Ruger maybe Mr. Ruger should take a page from this gentleman
post.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.