March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (NCTarheel, bigblock, docbill, battle, eightbore, Perry M. Kissam), 859 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#347078 12/03/13 05:01 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The development of 3D printing has allowed the build of a design lurking for years in my mind and various CAD drawings and notebooks. It is a technical plus philosophical approach to the SXS, with minimalism being the major driver. The idea was to make it as simple as possible and yet elegant.

See it here: http://www.oplognosia.com/english/sideBySide.php

and let me know what you think.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it, mostly. Any SxS shotgun is not realy needed in Europe just now, but a double rifle version of it would be useful for the all important boar hunting here. I would like to try one in 7x57R or 8x57 IRS.
Bravo for your bold approach.

With kind regards,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who among us hasn't dreamed of crafting a gun from scratch to meet our every desire! While you say there is nothing 'new' in the concept - I don't think there is anything like it in the world today. The action looks georgeous, even if this is only a mock-up...how much more intriguing it would be with light reflecting off steel.

I hope you are able to carry it through to actual construction, and I hope you'll keep us posted when you do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am impressed. There is a place for a dependable, yet extremely simple design S x S, IMO. I have some comments, if they are appropriate.

It is admirable that you provide several options, on such a simple design, of hammer types and designs for opening. I would probably opt, sight unseen at this point, for the self-cocking "hammerless" option. How you can convert such a simple action to self cocking as easily as is described is a mystery to me, but nonetheless attractive. One reason is that I am skeptical that the openings in the top tang for the external hammers look to be an invitation for trash to enter the lockwork. Hard to see how it can be avoided, due to the location of them. As much as I like the idea of being able to instantly look at the positions of the hammers I can't get past the concern for trash getting into the works.

Will the receiver be an alloy, or steel?

Lastly, this design screams ".410" !! With 30" barrels, a dream.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love the lines--kind of reminiscent of another round action, the Manufrance Ideal. Really cool! I share Stan's concern that the hammer openings at the top of the action would be practically guaranteed to allow water and crud to enter the action. Please make mine with underlever and external hammers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer a side lever.
danc

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

On opening levers, I like where you are w/your prototype & the simple stud. However, I can say for a fact that I have friends shooting both Alfermans and Ljutics (sp? for both) and another that presently slips my mind [Cole?] that all utilize the 'stud' action opener and that works fine .... until you get old or develop stiff joints in your fingers and hands and the pain associated with it. I have one friend who tapes his fingers together to be able to operate the opening stud on his Alferman as he can no longer do it like he used to w/his index finger alone. in all these cases, I'm speaking of a LOT of clay target shooting.

If I am reading what you have written & depicted correctly, you are speaking of being able to enclose the hammers rather than take them or make them external. Rather, you are speaking of providing a cover incorporated in the action's design or a separate one or a pair of them. I don't know that I'd personally be that concerned in a target environment, but afield for some uses, conditions tend to be harsh and anything from seeds to chaff to freezing rain and sleet and ice & snow are all very possible when hunting waterfowl or rough shooting pheasant or quails.

I very much like what you are proposing and find your reasoning & thoughts wonderfully sound. If you get to the point of building several for sale, please send me a PM, I may like to get on the queue. I'd hope that you can go forward with it in the form your have shown. Refinements or tweaks can come later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

don lik hit.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it.Put a long tang trigger guard on it. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think that perhaps a simple removable trigger shoe added to the opening stud would add utility and give the gun a more substatial look as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.