May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (LeFusil, Jimmy W, R Reynolds, Jtplumb, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 532 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,415
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

This question has been debated ad nauseum on this and other Forums. What is often cited as Gospal is Sherman Bell's writings in the DGJ. As a Degreed Engineer with Graduate study and research in Metalurgy, I have found Bell's articles to be superficial in content and approach as well as potentially dangerous for others to use his results to justify thier use of shells for which a shotgun was not chambered. When an item is manufactured, it is engineered for a specific set of requirements. To change those requirements is folly when dealing with shotgun chambers. I will not debate this again but simply note that there is at least one person with academic credentials that does not agree with Bell. EOT-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
It is absolutely not the same choice as shooting damascus guns or not shooting them. A damascus barreled gun proofed for use with 70mm loads is as safe as a steel barrel proofed for the same - it has been 'prooved' to be so. Shooting an out of proof steel gun or an out of proof damascus gun is equaliiy stupid and risky.

I didn't mention proof or any other technical issues in my post. I was referring to CHOICES that folks make.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is about pressure, pressure & pressure.

Dick it is spelled 'gospel'.

All I can suggest is the you read Sherman Bells articles and anything else you can get your hands on. The naysayers will always yell loudest. Gather information and make a decision for yourself.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
"Sherman Bells articles in DGJ have shown that it MAY be ok."

May is still not definitive.

It's the same as saying I can shoot 3" shells out of my 2 3/4" proofed modern gun. It will fit right into a 2 3/4" chamber why not use it, and it's only figurativly a 1/4" longer.
Those of you that have done it and are still doing it, bless you, though I won't be doing so and I hope that all goes well for you. I hope there will be no pictures posted of blown barrels like the gentleman who shot bizmuth through his old gun.

'May' was my word to condense thousands of words on dozens of pages in his articles.

Why not use 3" shells in a 2 3/4" gun. Because there is not a single 3" shell ever produced that is LOW PRESSURE. Many fine British, Spanish and other guns have 2 3/4" chambers but are still designed for LOW PRESSURE.

Dude, bizmuth(sic) was designed for older guns that can not handle STEEL shot.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 04/06/07 09:40 AM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last comment for the moment on this thread.

This has been studied forever. I have an American Rifleman article from the 1930's concerning shotshell pressures and chamber length (among other items) as they were setting up SAAMI.

No one has mentioned cost. 2 1/2" shells are not common on the shelves of American gunshops. Having them delivered to your home is prohibitively expensive for many of us. Particularly when we have already stretched the budget to its breaking point to buy a fine older gun.

In fact loading LOW PRESSURE shotshells is one of the few areas of reloading whre you can still save signifigant money.

Of course you can (and I have) trim hulls to 2 1/2" but this adds time, cost and complexity which can quickly make the process not worth the effort.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 04/06/07 09:48 AM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recently got my first English sxs, a hundred year old 2 1/2". Spent the first 60 years of my life KNOWING you can't shoot 3" in a 2 3/4" gun, etc. I researched the topic for a couple months. Gogh Thomas and Sherman Bell both say, with proper pressure loads, you may be o.k. That said, I'm reloading and buying 2 1/2" for my gun. First reason, it is fun to have something new and totally different, second reason it seems prudent to me.

That said, there is a portion of this topic I've never seen addressed. Does anyone know, if you do shoot 2 3/4" in a 2 1/2" gun, does it affect patterning? Any additional pressure would be generated by forcing the payload into a more restricted area. My flawed logic tells me that would deform shot, and possibly cause the pellets to "bounce" through the forcing cone.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, How low a pressure would be considered low enough? The load I have in mind to use will produce no more than 6700 PSI. Not to mention that I doubt that I will shoot more than 250 rounds per year in this gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I try to stay below about 8000 psi service pressure. This is slightly below what the gun was originally proofed for as a service pressure.
The former owner of my gun, shot boxes and boxes of modern field loads that were most likely loaded to about 11,000 psi with no ill effect.
If upon firing your handloads, you find that the ends of your cases are getting torn and shredded, then I would say that you might want to stick with 2 1/2" cases.
Just to save on cases! Thin walled hulls like the old style AAs are probably least likely to give you trouble.
I am speaking from ten years of my own experience with nitro proofed guns in good condition. I have read all the books and have made my choice with the particular guns that I use.
It really is up to you to decide.

Last edited by Alder adder; 04/06/07 10:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Steve Lawson

I plan on evenutally using a similar PSI load in my 16's as found in the data from that I received from the 16 ga reloader's organization.

FYI to Steve and anyone else loading for 16X65s or 16X67s,

ALL the recent 16 gauge Remington (black hulls) and Fiocchi marked hulls I have are actually 67 mm, even though marked 70 mm. These hulls I use unaltered for reloads to be used in 65 and 67 mm chambers. All my old doubles are Husqvarnas (actual 65 mm chambers) or German-made (actual 67 mm chambers), nearly all with the unaltered, nice tight chambers and bores common to such guns. 24 gram (7/8 oz) and 28 gram loads at 1100-1200 fps in 67 mm hulls perform really well in these guns -- as they should, those are the loads these guns were designed for. Ditto for some lightweight Husqvarna and German 12X65-chambered hammer doubles.

Elsewhere on this Board are data giving chamber pressures for the Remington and Fiocchi 16 gauge shotshells. I know that the factory Remington shotshells with 28 grams shot and actual 67 mm hulls have chamber pressures well above 10.000 psi, but, think I recall that the chamber pressures of the Fiocchi 28 gram loads are well below that.

Niklas

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

But Dick has technical degrees for godsake . . . from a University no less!

Dick,

For the record there are several other people with technical degrees on this board who do agree with Bell's work - within the carefully delineated limits of his testing. Please note the many caveats that are used by him throughout his articles.

Until more extensive empirical experiments are conducted on damascus barrels by you or anyone else, I'll stick with Bell (and the host of others, including the proof houses, that agree with him.)

I'm out on this thread. I don't mean to be rude in my response, but admit to responding to what I perceived as "I have an engineering degree and Bell doesn't, therefore, I am the only one capable of understanding this."

Ken

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.