May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (btbell, Jeremy Pearce, CJ Dawe, Thaine, Bob Jurewicz, 1 invisible), 321 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,755
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Same velocity. It must be something related to less friction in the smoothbore section. Holland was quite adamant concerning their rifle weights and recoil. The 8 bore was advertised as reduced weight better handling and increased velocity as compared to a fully rifled arm. Reduced weight because of lighter recoil. I can attest the 8 paradox balances magnificently and shoulders like a much lighter gun.

Last edited by PM; 11/12/13 12:34 AM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
[quote=PM]Paradoxes have less recoil than a fully rifled gun given the same cartridge charge and bullet weight. Do you have an explaination for ths lessoned recoil? Something other than lower velocity? Holland took advantage of the reduced recoil by shaving 2 to 3 lbs off their big bore paradoxes. Paradox bullets do "rattle" (.001 under bore) to the choke where this is a .002 restriction just prior to the rifling There are 40 to 45 points of choke in the rifling. Some serious extrusion going on in that choke section!!!

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ross Seyfried did an article in Rifle/Handloader from maybe 2002 +/- about paradox guns. His contention was that by having freebore, no-rifled section, and then only a short rifle section there was a much reduced recoil effect compared to what he thought should normally happen in a big bore of similar velocity/projectile weight.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Originally Posted By: craigd
....I recall a short article about a Marlin lever gun had six or eight bullets lodged in the barrel. I believe the shooter said he felt no noticable recoil and only heard a low muffled sound every time he pulled the trigger. I agree with 2-p that there must have been sub-standard ammo involved; like no powder, maybe. Otherwise, how did the powder gas pressure bleed off? Open the action on barrel pressure and you will likely get a face full of brass and gas. None of those bullets cleared the muzzle, but if maximum pressure was developed in the chamber or just in front of it, those bullets developed some maximum acceleration and then of course deceleration. I don't think this was the case.

My take on this story.

DDA

Try oldwestgunsmith.com/whatsnew.htm for an example. There are others that seem to be easy to search, but the author of this example likely has some credibility. It's a similar theme, some bore obstruction, usually a squib load, and then some actions and barrels manage to contain/vent multiple shots, bulge or no bulge. I thought it was a take on your original recoil comment.

Kind of an extreme example and not mentioned in this account was the thought I was trying to bring across. I suspect mass, bullet and gas, has to separate from the gun (out the muzzle with velocity) to feel what most folks consider recoil. Maybe, the near equal force of stopping the bullet within the gun and venting gasses laterally somewhere, doesn't 'recoil' the rifle in a familiar way even though the bullet could be shown to have accelerated. I'd be pretty sure movement could be felt by the shooter, but I don't know if they would call it 'felt recoil'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming favorable weather conditions scoped TarHunt is good to 200 paces. What is practical range of English-made Paradox gun?

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Assuming favorable weather conditions scoped TarHunt is good to 200 paces. What is practical range of English-made Paradox gun?

With ammo like this

In a rifled choke gun like this

Your hunt is possible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PM
Same velocity. Based on never say " --- never," I'll stop short of saying, "Can't be!" But, I'm very skeptical and am looking for a plausible explaination. It must be something related to less friction in the smoothbore section. I have trouble with that. Reduced friction should translate into more velocity and/or higher recoil. The friction force on the bullet is easily seen to be drag and, therefore, the force acting on the gun must be in the thrust (muzzle) direction. Holland was quite adamant concerning their rifle weights and recoil. The 8 bore was advertised as reduced weight better handling and increased velocity as compared to a fully rifled arm. OK, I really have a problem with that!! You can't have increased velocity and reduced recoil. Increased velocity with constant gives increased momentum for the ejecta and, therefore, increased momentum for the gun. Reduced weight because of lighter recoil. I can attest the 8 paradox balances magnificently and shoulders like a much lighter gun. Could you give us the weight and balance point to front trigger for this gun, please?

Sidelock
Sidelock

'Scuse me, I have a problem understanding this issue of a Paradox having less recoil than a bore rifle all things being equal.

1. A Paradox has less friction in the smooth section of the barrel.

2. Less friction means either:

2.1. Bullet will go faster with same amound of powder

2.2. Less powder is needed to start the bullet with the same velocity.

3. In 2.2 the pressure will also be lower, allowing to make barrel thinner and gun lighter.

4. Provided that recoil is function of Newtonian action-reaction law, same charge (2.1) = more velocity out of Paradox = more work (mass by velocity) produced by the Paradox: there's also the same total amount of powder gases, and probably more leftower gases at muzzle in the Paradox (less time in the barrel for them to burn).

5. All of 4 = more, not less recoil out of Paradox with 2.1.

6. Now, in case of proportionally smaller charge in Paradox (2.2), there's same work (same velocity), less powder gases in Paradox, and similar amount of leftover gases at muzzle = less recoil and pressure in Paradox.

7. But same velocity and less recoil with same charge? Something doesn't add up.

Query: what factor am I missing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

UPD: The Rocketman's comment above wasn't there when I was typing this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister

Ross worked up loads for my Evans and it shoots an honest 3 to 4 -inch L/R x L/R four round group at 100 yards. I bet it would do three if my eyes were younger. I have never fired a group at paper farther than that. I can personally testify that it will roll a warthog at eighty and drop sand grouse at forty. Perceived recoil is like any normal twelve of a pigeon weight gun. It is a different art than shooting a double rifle, and I believe that has everything to do with barrel dwell time - a combination of relatively long tubes and slow velocity compared to something like a .470. One really has to consciously follow through much more than one would with an express rifle.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.