May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ted Schefelbein, DaveB, bushveld, Jolly Bill, Themauserkid, 1 invisible), 161 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,536
Posts545,984
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For several years I've been hoping to make it again to The Southern and set up a 'Damascus Reading' table, possibly adding bore and wall thickness measurements. Unfortunately, the dates always overlap a Guatemala mission trip for which I'm either preparing or from which recovering sick http://www.picturetrail.com/photos/gracemedicalmissions

Steve Culver, who many of us are aware has successfully fabricated a short 2 iron crolle shotgun barrel, will be in Las Vegas at the Invitational Knife Makers show, and I would love to talk pattern welding with him, and many of you.
I can't justify paying for a table (and the show is sold out) since nothing I know has any commercial application frown but possibly a dealer could give me 3' feet of table where I could set up and provide an opinion (for free) as to damascus pattern identification. In return, I could bring my Bill Henry wall thickness gauge and measure a few (it is hard work and takes about an hour done right) barrels for the dealer.
Hard to take 4 days off during Paradise Season and the short Mearns season in SE AZ however smile

SO if someone with a table would be kind enough to be my host please send a PM or email me at revdoc2@cox.net and thanks!

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), A Christian Directory, Part 1, Chapter IV, "Directions Against Covetousness"
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Whilst on the topic of pattern identification, this is where we are now, and it is quite likely there are other patterns and names out there
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tXvObBOfgGpOKTh_jkttPcH1lKd--bfHY_sIjmr8uy8/edit

Identified Twist & Damascus Patterns
Every effort has been made to label damascus patterns by what they would have been named when the barrels were manufactured or the 'trade name' used by the gun maker.

1. Skelp, Plain Twist, English Twist, Wire Twist, Ferlacher and Lutticher Birmingham, Lutticher Crolle, Damas Rubans, Canons tordus
2. Stub Twist, Remington ‘London’
3. Damascus Twist, Ferlacher and Lutticher London, Baker ‘Best London Damascus Twist’
4. English (One Iron) Damascus Twist, Damas Anglais Coupe', Gebrochener Englischer Damast, Combination Damascus
5. Laminette-Damask, Laminette Simple & Double, Barber’s Pole, Single and Double Damascus Twist
6. Boston and Remington ‘Boston 2 S.J.’
7. Horse-shoe and Remington ‘Boston N.’
8. English Two Rod/Stripe, ‘Oxford’, Lower grade Hufnagel, Damas fer de clous, Damas Anglais, or lower grade Damas Crolle', Remington ‘Oxford 2 S.J.’, most American maker’s ‘Good (or Fine) Damascus’, some Belgian ‘London’ patterns
9. Damas Crolle' (in higher grades), Remington ‘Oxford 4 S.J.’, Three and Four Rod Oxford and Oxford Superfine, ‘English Best’, higher grade Hufnagel, and Manufacture Liegeoise Leopold Bernard (6 Iron) and ML Clou Fin (4 Iron).
10. Lutticher Rosen and some Remington ‘Oxford 4 S.J.’ patterns (with a Distinct weld line down the middle of each scroll)
11. Turkish Damascus, Turkischer Damask, Damas Turc ou Frisé, ‘English Best’, most American maker’s ‘Finest Damascus’
‘Star’ Turkish has black & white stars between the scrolls, distinctly different from Etoile' with tiny stars within the scrolls.
12. Remington ‘Washington N 3 B.P.’, Ferlacher Austria 1, Lutticher Washington, American Flag Bunting, Stars and Stripes, Bresilien, Manufacture Liegeoise Wellington (all with tiny stars within the scrolls.)
13. Damas Chine’
.....a. Chonon, Thonin, Remington ‘Pieper P.’
.....b. Leclerc, Remington ‘Chine P.’
14. Damas Mouchete’, Bernard - in several grades and variants
15. Damas Moire'
16. Herringbone, Remington ‘Ohonon 6 S.T.’, Remington ‘Legia P.’, Manufacture Extra, Lutticher Corche, Lutticher Toncin
17. Etoile' and Remington ‘Etoile 3. B.P.’
18. Chain, ML Chainette & Hunter Arms Chainette
19. Ferlacher Gedreht (turned) and Halbgedreht (half-turned)
20. Ferlacher Austria 2
21. Ferlacher Carinthia

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, email me. The Lefever group has 4 tables and we might be able to squeeze in something.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Done Daryl and thanks! Can I bring some 2014 LCSCA calendars to pass out under the table smile

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'LL BE THERE smile

Look for the dork in the boater

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew, at least that's better than a 2013 Calendar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Drew, at least that's better than a 2013 Calendar.

People are still looking for 2013 and 2012 L C Smith Calendars. It has come to my attention that Mark of Mark's Born Again Birdguns might have a few of the 2012 and 2013 L C Smith Calendars available at his shop still.

Good Shooting To You, Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reverend Drew, we sure miss you at the Southern Side by Side. It's been a while. How about the Fall Southern Side by Side, run by some of the same heathens, a little later in the year?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry, won't be in Vegas to utilize your services/support your endeavor. However, a bore examination and wall thickness measurements will be completed soon. Thank you for the availability of your findings. The following is my first Damascus tubed gun. I believe 3 Iron Crolle or number 9 above.

Shoot straight,

Bird

Last edited by Jeff Kucinski; 11/10/13 06:09 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Bill and would very much like to make it.

Smith Damascus examples are here Jeff
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17116222
If you could post a close up image of the pattern I could confirm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.