April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Bob Jurewicz, Jimmy W), 385 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The same surface area can be had but it won't be captured, as it is on the Stevens.

Their check hook is another innovative feature the Stevens had. It is described in the ad above. Carrying the shotgun breech open may well be a lot of the reason there are problems with soldered forend lugs. That can put a tremendous amount of leverage against the lug, something I am cognizant of, and careful about when I must do so. When I see people carrying a double (O/U or S x S) open, with their hand under the receiver, walking along with the 30"/32" barrels "bouncing" as they go, I cringe. If you must carry it open, as when waiting to shoot on a squad of other shooters, better to hold it against your side in such a way that the barrels hang vertical, relieving the forend and lug of that stress, IMO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
I am in total agreement with you on the matter of an open gun. Under hunting situations I would on occasion if encountering other hunters open my gun (& Unload) but hold it carefully. If approaching a hazardous area which I didn't want to navigate with a loaded gun I always opened it, removed the shells & then closed it back. I always felt that if I should take a bad tumble the gun would fair better bolted shut than with the barrels swinging free. Plus in a situation such as this if the gun is opened & the shells left in there is as much, or more, of a possibility of the gun being slammed shut in a fall & discharging as there is if it were simply left loaded & bolted.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The American RIfleman February 1982 has a good several page article on the 21 by Michael McIntosh

If someone really needs it , I could scan and e mail it.

Last edited by Stallones; 11/11/13 01:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Capt Crossman recomendation of the 21:

[img:left][/img]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Re the forend loop thing. The model 21 with its inbuilt barrel stop prevents any undue loading of the forend loop when the gun is open. I mentioned this feature to several UK trained smiths and they all scoffed at the idea of a useful barrel stop. On the other hand, they tend to scoff at most anything not designed in the UK or embodied into UK practice.

Losing a forend during firing is another thing altogether. I had it happen on brand new guns and from that I deduce that it is not just a matter of static loading, as in carrying the gun open, but a more dynamic thing that occurs during firing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a reasonably good collection of AR going back into the late 1920s. I don't dig in to them that often, but if you can give me a target date, I'll take a look.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The best I could find was that there is a two page article in October 1963 regarding the model 21. I know that the test was carried out in the 60s, but cannot see any other reference to the model 21 in the 60s issue contents.

Thank you for your help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.