April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (eightbore, Momslefever), 440 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,
I have a question, did Niedner keep a book of what rifles his shop worked on and what was done to them? It would make fascinating reading as well as being an important historical document.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Michael, I have a question, did Niedner keep a book of what rifles his shop worked on and what was done to them? It would make fascinating reading as well as being an important historical document. Harry

Niedner started doing gun work full time, in Malden, Mass. around 1906 or so. After he died Mr. "B" got Niedner's shop books, note books and cash books from Malden dated 1910-1919.

About thirty years ago Mr. "R" a friend of Mr. "B"'s decided these were too valuable (historically) to be in the care of one person. Mr. "R" borrowed everything, made copies and set them to me. A few years ago Mr. "B" died and NOTHING of Niedner's was found. If it was I never learned about it.

Niedner then relocated to Dowagiac, Michigan and for the years 1920-1940 the shop books are missing. I believe that many of the records were held by Thomas Shelhamer, they have been saved but are not available for study. I don't know if they every will be, I intervened and stopped them from heading to the dump but beyond that I have no idea.

From the Malden shop books.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those pages show a very knowledgeable customer base! I wonder if the two with their city or more address shown indicates they are new customers while the others are repeats.

The last entry, Mr Neal was building a target rifle on a Sharps and a varminter on a Stevens.

But, Pope and Kelly are the names we still know best.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Michael,
Your information is much appreciated, It's a great shame that few people realise the great historical value of such books and as you say they could just be dumped to rot away. Sorry to be so long in replying but I've just got home from a days Pre Operation Testing for when I go in for Surgery next week for Bowel Cancer. Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

Harry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Terry Buffum
Those pages show a very knowledgeable customer base! I wonder if the two with their city or more address shown indicates they are new customers while the others are repeats.

The last entry, Mr Neal was building a target rifle on a Sharps and a varminter on a Stevens.

But, Pope and Kelly are the names we still know best.

E. C. Sabin was a scope maker, there is page after page of stuff like this.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Thank you Michael,
Your information is much appreciated, It's a great shame that few people realise the great historical value of such books and as you say they could just be dumped to rot away. Sorry to be so long in replying but I've just got home from a days Pre Operation Testing for when I go in for Surgery next week for Bowel Cancer. Keep your fingers crossed for me please. Harry

Harry,

Good luck on the surgery and I understand what you will be going through. I just finished my seven weeks M-F of radiation and still have three more chemo treatments this go around. Take care of yourself, rest when you can, and let the world go about it's business without you.

Michael

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,
Thanks very much for your kind wishes, they're much appreciated, but I have to ask, what will the world do without me? PMSL. Sorry I have a warped sense of humour. Good luck with your treatment.

Harry

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry,
Will keep you in my thoughts, wishing you the very best!

Lynn

LRF #344614 11/13/13 07:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Lynn,

Many thanks my friend, I'd like to live forever, but having reached 70 and a tad more, it may not happen. I realise that sooner or later something like this may occur, but I'm not giving up. The Hoodie with the scythe is not getting me just yet, at least not if I can help it. Lol.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 11/13/13 07:36 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry,
from what I know of you, you are a pretty tough guy. I think the hoodie guy is going to be SOL. And when all is said and done, you will be back to chiseling out the Borchardt from its lump of steel.

Good luck and you know we are all pulling for you.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.