Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Alabama is of an earlier class with 16" 45 caliber guns (the caliber tells how many times of the bore diameter is the barrel length).When in the Norfolk Navel Shipyard,where I taught physics to some of their employees, I was able to crawl about many ships.I have been in the gun room of turret # 1, right gun (there is no port-starboard as the gun turns).I am 6-1 and my hard hat was against the armor over-head.Two types of projectiles AP 2700 lbs and 6 ft, High- capacity 1900 lbs 64". Range,41,000 yds. The gun only recoils 48". Each one can fire every 30 seconds and there are 9 of them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do not forget that hoop stress is not the only component, there is also axial stress, and that too is greater with a larger bore at the same pressure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys, I haven't been able to get to this thread with some other biz going. But, for the axial concern, my recollection is axial stress is half of the hoop stress in a cylinder.

The formulae for a thinwalled tube is much simpler than for a thickwalled tube like a chamber. I'm not a stress engineer, but speculate that this problem (thickwalled tube) is fairly complex calculation and that most likely is done with FEM (finite element modeling by computer) today. Next week I may have a chance to run into some stress engineers and ask some basic questions. Hopefully, we have a more qualified structural engineer here that can help in the meantime.

Last edited by Chuck H; 04/06/07 05:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Axial T = minimum oburator radius(squared) times bore pressure all divided by the quanity of (outer radius squared minus inner radius squared). Page 79.

vh20 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

William,
She is South Dakota Class, if I remember, and the Iowa Class included Missouri, New Jersey and...Wisconsin, maybe?

41,000 yds.= 23 miles! You can run, but you can't hide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In another area, axial and hoop stress/strain, are very carefully considered in soda/beer cans. In the can,of which several 100 million are made in the USA every day, one tries to use the least possible material (for economics) in the construction of the can.The can is under quite a bit of pressure (shake one) and can burst.Try the formulae on that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those aluminum cans are a marvel of modern manufacturing. They've controlled the wallthickness so well that they can make them just thick enough to contain the worstcase pressure. You can't even pick up an openned can more than half full without buckling the outside walls.

Another new aluminum bev container is the Bud aluminum bottle. They are available in some stores in the regular and Bud Light brands. I have one that is cut in half lengthwise to see the interior, which hangs on my wall at work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

But, if an aluminum can or bottle bursts, the worst you have is a mess. If a barrel bursts, it may be a bit messier even.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Soda cans may be somewhat messier,but other cylinders may be more so.Think about repeating high pressure devices: engines (gas or diesel),brake lines,steam lines in power plants,etc.Firearm injuries pale in comparison.As far as early steel strength goes, ever heard of the Brooklyn bridge?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I imagine the steel on the Brooklyn Bridge is fairly ordinary stuff, just lots of it. Those old boilers for steam heating or power devices had a lot of failures in the early days until they figured out sufficient margins of safety above the minimum requirements when new and in-service periodic inspections came into place.

I imagine the rate of failures on aluminum cans (prior to consumer handling) is really low.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.