March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Hammergun, Ian Forrester, dukxdog, Don Zahringer, 2 invisible), 780 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#338653 09/19/13 11:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm just back from my umpteenth Southern SxS. These are great shoots, as much for the camaraderie as for the targets and gun vendors.

What would you think about the addition of an optional side event or two for slide action guns? Of course, it would be all true pairs. Classic pumps, while certainly very different from side by sides, are so very American and they can have a charm of their own. Viz the Winchester Model 42s.

The pumps wouldn't be in competition with the SxSs. Just an event on the side and some extra fun. Many of you enjoy both types of guns. What are your thoughts?

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many of us who now prefer doubles began with pump-guns. Mine was a Remington model 31 20ga and I wish I still had it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bruce,
You should talk with Jent Mitchell. He runs several pump gun shoots in the Mid-Atlantic states. I think you would enjoy talking with him about this.
Milt

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Last year, during the 2012 shooting season, at The Flying Rabbit a side event for pump guns was held during the Virginia State Sporting Clays Shoot.

Last year at PHSC a THREE BIRD shoot was held for one of the charity fund raising shoots. They had a pump gun division and a semi-auto division. When the shooter called for the birds three birds were launched. I do not recall how many of the stations were true three birds but several of the stations were true three bird stations. Other stations were following birds. It was a great deal of fun. Some of the stations were set up to see if the shooter was smart enough to get two. There was no way for a normal human to shoot at and hit all three of the clays thrown but a normal shooter could get two of the clays if he planned it that way from the beginning. It was a small version of an IQ test. If the shooter got greedy and tried for all three he might end up with a one or a zero instead of a sure 2.

These THREE BIRD shoots are great great fun.

Good Shooting To You All, Jent

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like a good idea. I don't have a classic pump. I'm afraid all I have is an old Bubba camo'd (YEEHAA pass the krylon!)12 gauge 870 Express I picked up at a pawn shop for bad weather hunting. Of course that don't mean I couldn't get me one laugh

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: The Technoid
I'm just back from my umpteenth Southern SxS. These are great shoots, as much for the camaraderie as for the targets and gun vendors.

What would you think about the addition of an optional side event or two for slide action guns? Of course, it would be all true pairs. Classic pumps, while certainly very different from side by sides, are so very American and they can have a charm of their own. Viz the Winchester Model 42s.

The pumps wouldn't be in competition with the SxSs. Just an event on the side and some extra fun. Many of you enjoy both types of guns. What are your thoughts?

Bruce

I think the idea sux. Let pump gun guys go and start their own associations, set up web sites, promote their own choice of gun and set up their own shoot events. It sounds like you want them to piggy back on work of so many others who devoted time and energy to get side by side associations started. Reminds me of the lazy grasshopper and industrious ant fable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cherry bomb
Originally Posted By: The Technoid

Bruce

I think the idea sux. Let pump gun guys go and start their own associations, set up web sites, promote their own choice of gun and set up their own shoot events. It sounds like you want them to piggy back on work of so many others who devoted time and energy to get side by side associations started. Reminds me of the lazy grasshopper and industrious ant fable.

Why couldn't a guy bring along his pump gun to shoot, as long as he shot the double portion as well? Is there a line of demarcation twixt double gunners and pump gunners, or are they sometimes one and the same? Perhaps a younger guy, with only a pump to shoot, could discover an interest in doubles if he was permitted to enjoy an event with his own gun.

Reminds me that people who look down their noses at guys with a pump gun are usually not someone you'd care to spend a day afield with.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It has nothing to do with the gunner and everything to do with the type of gun, and it's not a turn down of the nose down on pump guns. Yah and the guy can bring his hump back auto, flint lock, percussion, pellet gun, one hole target rifle and paint ball gun and shoot them as side events at the big side by side shoots. Just cabbage on the work of others, instead of showing initiative and setting up their own associations. CB

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto Ted. My son who is now 16 started shooting with me in Vintager events when he was 11 with his kids-sized BPS 20. He quickly graduated to SxS and does quite well. Pump gunners have their own association, but none of the guys I shoot SxS with would begrudge their participation. I wouldn't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the doublegunshop.com spirit, boys!

A "big tent" is where it's at.

I think I'll take my Street Sweeper to this year's Vintagers!

(I oughta clean up on the clays course!)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.