May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (canvasback, SKB, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 866 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,499
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#337849 09/13/13 09:57 AM
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed.
Othello Act 3, scene 3, 155–161

In my state, Georgia, there was a historical and now a legal remedy for damaging one’s honor or reputation. “On May 1, 1777, Lachlan McIntosh addressed the Georgia assembly and denounced Button Gwinnett in the harshest terms, calling him a "scoundrel and lying rascal." Gwinnett sent a written challenge to McIntosh demanding an apology or satisfaction. McIntosh refused to apologize, and Gwinnett challenged him to a duel.

On May 16, 1777 in a field owned by Governor James Wright a few miles east of Savannah, Gwinnett and McIntosh met to duel with pistols. At a distance of 12 paces, the two men leveled and fired virtually simultaneously. Gwinnett received a ball to the thigh and McIntosh was struck in the leg. McIntosh would recover from his wounds, but Gwinnett’s wound was mortal and he died three days later.”

Dueling was banned and in its stead, came litigation. In Georgia, any writing which damages the reputation or character of a person is an actionable tort and malice and damages are presumed. Both the publisher of the remarks and author are proper party defendants. One can publish an article in one state and be sued in any state of publication. There are 50 states and probably as many definitions of libel and actions for it with limitations that vary state to state.

Why should I be concerned if someone on this list damages the reputation of another? Can’t I just ignore it? Well, here’s the problem as I see it. Suppose Dave gets sued because someone here libels another member. The list shuts down because Dave doesn’t want to be sued again. We all have an interest and a dog in this fight.

“ Liberal liar; deception, falsehoods, exaggeration, resume inflation; ass; cover one lie with another; falsehoods; hypocrisy; resume padding; pathetic ass; you are a liar; unceasing dishonesty; you lied; filthy rotten liar; fictitious reputation; act like a menstrurating woman; you have no honor; Big Sister King; dishonest and sleazy; filthy lying weasel; compulsive lying disorder; pathological liar; low class white trash liar” are a few things written about King by one man. A fair and reasonable interpretation of these remarks is that there is nothing good natured in these remarks. Most folks, I assume, squirm when someone is called a liar. I know I do, and I don’t care who it is directed against. Burger King? That's okay and funny, but "low class white trash liar??"

I don’t know King Brown from a can of house paint. What we know about Kingsley Brown is that he too liberal for most tastes on this board; but he is not a name caller; he hunts; he fishes and wisely refuses to engage directly in a one-sided smear campaign. This campaign is beginning to have the aroma of one of the epic mudslingathons on this forum between the same man insulting King and Nca225 or whatever his name was which was as distasteful and shameful a display of adult behavior witnessed on this forum that I can recall. There was no winner in that “debate” We can look up much about Kingsley Brown online. It appears to me that he has “walked the talk” unless television interviews by the CBC in 1969 are frauds, or that the articles are counterfeited by him, but they aren’t, and he didn’t. Look him up yourself. Kingsley Brown CBC or Kinglsey Brown Nova Scotia.

I suppose if one calls someone a liar repeatedly, there will be some folks that will believe it because they’ve heard it said repeatedly. In one of LBJ’s earliest campaigns, he started a whisper campaign that his opponent screwed pigs. “Lyndon, no one will believe it” an associate stated. “I know” said LBJ. “I just want to hear him deny it”. The problem with someone throwing slime-ball grenades is that at some point it becomes difficult to tell where the smell comes from. It appears to me that we have an anonymous poster attempting a keyboard assassination of an octogenarian’s reputation and character because of political and religious differences of opinion. It is easy to do from behind the computer screen, but hard to remove the taint however wrong it may be. And, please don’t say “if the shoe fits”, because it doesn’t. And even if “truth is a defense”, someone has to pay for the defense and most homeowner insurance policies won’t, at least in Georgia. You bet the ranch on what you say or write.

From what I’ve seen on screen and off screen about King Brown, while I don’t agree with him on all matters, he is a gentleman with class and I wouldn’t mind having him as a neighbor. You don’t have to be on the same side politically or religiously with a person to respect him and have him as a friend or a good neighbor. I am sure we all have such neighbors and they would be the last persons we would insult or demean as has been done here.

Keep up the debate. Present your opinions. Just don’t engage in character assassination. If indeed you truly believe someone is a liar, etc., be willing to back up your remarks with your personal assets, because insurance won’t pay for willful acts in many states. And more importantly, think about the rest of us and the integrity of the doublegunshop.com. I can’t imagine King filing suit against the other member. However, it is not unforeseeable that if such modus operandi debating tactics continue, someone else will sue if they suffer the same indignity.

GLS #337854 09/13/13 10:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes he is a true gentleman.

GLS #337862 09/13/13 10:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can appreciate the thought and time that went into the post. It seems too bad that being neighborly is dictated by the treat of being sued. I couldn't help but notice some seemingly innocuous words on the libel list and what I guess I'd need legal advise to determine was okay and funny.

GLS #337864 09/13/13 10:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, while the risk of anyone here having a duel or pursuing a libel claim against the owner of the site or anyone else is pretty much non-existent, the content of your post is is right on.

King's politics are not the same as mine but I'd love to share a meal or hunt ducks with him some day. He comes across as a complete gentleman and in my opinion some of his detractors here do not...Geo

P.S. How about that King, now you're a topic!

GLS #337868 09/13/13 11:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Friendly reminder to those who want it "their way" regarding Burger King:

He resides in ANOTHER sovereign country. US laws don't apply.

And... even if they did, he is, by his own admission, a "public figure" who posts personal commentary on an international chat board. He has no rights whatsoever.

GLS #337873 09/13/13 11:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not taking any sides in anyone elses personal battles....(I have enough to keep me busy taking care of my own)

But the courts have already ruled owners and operators of websites can't be held liable for the posts others make....

And good luck suing someone for something said online....its an expensive endevour with no guarantee of a return. Particularly when things span international borders.

And thats speaking as someone who has set up and run a website forum for about 6 years.

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 09/13/13 11:14 AM.

The liberals are asking us to give Obama time.
We agree, and think 25 to life would be Appropriate.
GLS #337891 09/13/13 12:32 PM
GLS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Public figures have a right to sue under certain conditions. Just ask some of the tabloids. I have litigated and lost NY Times vs. Sullivan issues and lost. Foreigners have rights to sue in this country. An Asian airline has recently sued a US TV station for comments perceived as racsist. Do I think anyone will get anywhere with the suit? No.
Continue to lead with your chin if you believe to the contrary.
The expense of a lawsuit is more than damages. Try paying for defense without insurance.

I'm not encouraging people to sue anyone. I'm just hoping that a little more civility and gentlemanly manners can replace some of the vitriolic, personal attacks.

GLS #337894 09/13/13 12:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tabloids fall under a different set of rules and laws than forums do.

They actually control the content in their publications....web forums don't.

Web forums are alo under no legal obligation to remove anything someone else posted. Because opinions are a protected form of speach. Irregardless if its one you agree with or don't agree with.

When you get into the international realm...there is no legal authority that crosses borders.

Yes...I've been through this before....thats why I know that.

Sometimes thats to your favor...sometimes its not....

Consider an international website like a ship in International waters.....the Captain (or the Webmaster) is the King.

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 09/13/13 01:04 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dad said never sue, it will take more out of you in stress and frustration even if you win. Made sense to me. Canada is not as litigious as other countries, awards are comparatively low. Slander and libel laws are in my bones. Those playing in Misfires deserve what they get.

"Public figure" doesn't enter into it as far as I'm concerned. All are in the same boat. An international champion log-roller at a guides meet once demanded money for taking his picture in action. If he didn't want his picture taken, he shouldn't have appeared publicly. Same methinks for Misfires.

What pleases me because of my affection and admiration for the United States is that so many Americans share the ethos of those around me here in Nova Scotia, of friendships strengthened by differences that we don't allow to diminish our humanity. Friendships aren't a scratch-my-back, almost commercial thing.

Kind regards, King

GLS #337909 09/13/13 01:32 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always viewed it...as if one posts on online forums...they should be equally prepared to dish it out as they are to take it...

And people can get into heated arguments online...without actualy disliking each other on a personal level.

I routinely spar with others on other forums..(different user names) and it can get just as hot and heavy as anything I've seen here...( I tend to respond in the same tone someone adresses me)

But we could if we were to find ourselves in the same city....sit down and have a friendly beer together.

So things are not always as they may appear.

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 09/13/13 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.