Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#337244 09/08/13 06:14 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What shells do you recomend for the weekend clay shooter who shoots vintage English guns? Both mine are 2 3/4" guns.
I have shot B&P Comp1's amd RST's. But wonder if there are any out there that are not so expensive and cam be shot in early 20's sidelocks?
My friend says you need to stay under 8K chamber pressure. Most Shell manufactuers do not list chamber pressure.
Need advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might want to look into Mexican Aguila I think those are CIP rated if I recall correctly. Even if so rated the 20br offerings are likely to be quite "juicy".

Sidelock
Sidelock

RST and Polywad are two very popular choices. From what I have read, the proprietors of the two companies have no problem sharing specs when people call them.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out Jay Menefee's shells at Polywad. I use them and have always been very impressed. I don't know how the prices compare with RST. Just took delivery on a flat of 16 ga. low pressure spreaders.

http://www.polywad.com/

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the 20's reference was to the age of his Guns, not 20 bore
What bore are they Palunc
Loading your own is great fun, n there are "Loads" of good low psi recipes..if you just shoot a few boxes a cheap single stage mec might do you??
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buy a used MEC 600 single stage loader, a can of powder, a little shot, and a few primers and you'll be able to produce top grade ammunition perfectly suited for your guns. With the high price of factory stuff you'll be far ahead shortly.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Boxlock
Boxlock

If you are roll crimping you can even get away without the MEC. smile
One nneeds to have a powder scale anyway to check the drops for smokeless low pressure loads , so with a few basic hand tools you can load some very good shotshells.
Takes a bit more time than using a press , though.
If using black powder you can use a simple black powder measure however.
Going volume of shot for volume of black powder gives you a light shot load that is very effective.
Using a scale however you can load some very potent black powder loads that are effective for waterfowl or upland game and still easy on the gun and your shoulder.
Davide

Last edited by Davide Todd; 09/09/13 09:08 AM.

Of course I have shot all my vintage guns - what do you think they are called SHOT guns for??!!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never used a scale for BP loads. Black powder is measured by volume. I've been a life member of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Ass. for 42 years and shot on the national range for 30 and have never seen anyone use a scale - it's always been volume. The old, or even new plastic adjustable measures will work just fine. I to would buy a Mec Jr [ 600 ] - they're cheap and it's fun to load your own. That way you're not trying to fine expensive loads. Shotgun world is a web site that has a reloading forum that's very helpful for a first timer. Good luck - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Winchester Featherlite should be perfect. The reloading data published to duplicate that load indicates 5,600 PSI. Not much doubt that the actual factory load is well under 8,000 PSI.

I've been using handloads to duplicate the Featherlite with good success.

New AA Featherlight shells should sell for approximately $80 per flat... if you can find any.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: Paul Harm
I've never used a scale for BP loads. Black powder is measured by volume. I've been a life member of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Ass. for 42 years and shot on the national range for 30 and have never seen anyone use a scale - it's always been volume. The old, or even new plastic adjustable measures will work just fine. I to would buy a Mec Jr [ 600 ] - they're cheap and it's fun to load your own. That way you're not trying to fine expensive loads. Shotgun world is a web site that has a reloading forum that's very helpful for a first timer. Good luck - Paul

If you were reffering to my preious post Paul,
I was reffering to the shot charge , not the powder charge.
When I load my BP cartridges I use a measure- either a cheap adjustable or a scoop style, or on with a Lyman 55 or harrel.
My shot charge is always weighted however, because I have found years ago that the larger the shot, the less weight for a gven measured charge.
DT

Of course I have shot all my vintage guns - what do you think they are called SHOT guns for??!!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.