May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, graybeardtmm3, Jeremy Pearce, Guy Ave, 2 invisible), 244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,908
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#335264 08/20/13 09:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took delivery of my second safe today (Champion Medalist-30 w/custom inserts for longguns only)

It has a rod that you're supposed to leave on to fight away moisture and combat rust, corrosion etc etc)

1. Does anyone use such a thing in their safe(s)?
2. Does anyone recommend using it on and off for a set period?
3. If you do use one, have you ever dried out old wood stocks to the point of danger?

Sidelock
Sidelock

yes
no
no

The thing is just a small heater.

It raises the internal temperature a bit, thus lowering the relative humidity in the enclosure.

I'm going on 20 years on mine... it still works and seems to do a fine job. No issues.

Don't expect it to do much in a real humid environment... it's for a safe in a reasonably dry location.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brand name use to be Goldenrods. They work well and never had any damage. Now I use a dehumidifier in a enclosed gun room.

I have two cheap metal cabinets filled with klunkers and deactivated guns that have goldenrods in them that sit in semi plain view. These cabinets, safes if you wish, are filled with decoy guns so thieves find some guns and stop searching. If lost they are of no great value and not a danger to others unless used as a club. All are missing firing pins or other key parts.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many Thanks to the both of you. Here in western Mass we have periods of hot, humid weather during the summer, moderate to heavy moderate-humididity in the winter.

Based on what you've told me, jones, it seems like this rod will work out fine.

KY Jon - GREAT set-up with the decoy "safes". I would love to have a big enough house where I could dedicate a room to firearms. Ah well, I'm not going to be buying more guns anyway. Really. Just ask my wife, she'll concur.

Sidelock
Sidelock

they work just fine for me. Make sure they are not touching any stocks.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Eva Dry dessicant humidifiers which do not heat up the safe. Own 3 for 2 safes. Keep one plugged in and recharging and one in each safe. Rotate them in NC about once every three weeks in a very humid year here. Seem to soak up a lot of moisture. The beads in the viewing window turn pink when they are saturated.

http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry-500-mini-dehumidifier/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Excuse me! That's de-humidifiers!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

As dumb and fundamental as it sounds, the best way to reduce and keep humidity down is to use a dessicant, a fancy word for something that takes moisture out of the air.

I burn coal, anthracite, for heat during winter and in the off season, and have the unenviable task of removing the sulfurous/acidic ash that corrodes the heat boxes of both of my stoves. As a chemist, I found that removing moisture/humidity worked wonders in avoiding corrosion (exfoliation of the boiler plate steel) out of the fire box of both of my stoves.
The simplest way of doing such is to buy magnesium sulfatehydrate (Epsom salts) from Wal-mart, placing it (~5 lbs) in an aluminum pan and heating it at 450F in an oven for 1-2 hrs. This drives the water out of reagent and the anhydrous magnesium sufate acts as a sponge to remove water out of the firebox during off season. I applied this concept to my gunsafe and it worked gangbusters. I start this in May and re-heat/recharge the mag sulfate in August. It's better than the "Goldenrod" to suppress corrosion and pitting

Sidelock
Sidelock

OR-build a vault(a safe is not big enough anyway)and install a regular de-humidifier,but instead of collecting the condensate, install a drain to the outside. It works great and you don't have to remember to empty anything or dry anything.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can make a project out of anything.

The safe comes with a Goldenrod... plug in the Goldenrod and forget about it.

It's safe, it works, and it costs about $10/year to run.

The company has a website if anyone really wants to research it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.