April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Kolar Dickson, HMAK, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,217
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I appreciate St Ledger and Schilling as the best INMO but if you ask Turnbull to provide "subdued" colours he can do a good job. Below are a couple of pics of a single shot Steve Dodd Hughes made for me and got Turnbull to colour (I specified subtle) I am happy with the way it came out.

best
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

This is a link to a photo of a well restored single 4-bore side-lock of very high quality. All the work is of a very high standard and comes very close to making the gun look original. The key here was that the action and engraving were in very crisp condition when the renovation and re-colour harening took place. Re-colouring over worn metal or fitting re-coloured metal to worn wood (like the Amazing Grace gun above) give away that it is a tired old gun that has been done-up to look new but does not quite make it. That is not a comment on the quality of the work, more on what condition the piece was that was there to work on at the beginning.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

The next link is to a gun which has been re-coloured and re-browned in a manner which, I believe is OTT. The gun now looks like a garish do-up and the gun has, in my opinion been spoiled.

I'm sorry to hear the rather snide personal 'digs' in response to me expressing my opinion, in what I think is a reasonable way. Surely we are here to exchange opinions and observations in friendly manner. I don't know why some here feel hey have to attack people for not sharing their particular view.

I'm not criticising anyone's talents here. I have a good friend who is a very gifted and successful tattoo artist. He is not offended that I prefer myself and my women un-tattooed. It is not a slur on his work or his customers, just a reflection of our different aesthetic opinions.

Guys, try and be nicer!

Last edited by Small Bore; 08/21/13 06:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I´ll agree with you Dig, the second one is an example of bad case work, it looks like a rainbow ! best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting information from a blacksmith website on how to vary the colors in the CCH process:

Anvilfire

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't care what y'all say...

I'm stickin' to ma standards on this one:

Black Escalades with gangsta rims, Miller Lite beer... and Turnbull colors!

Whooooooeeee!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig,
Just an observation on that latter picture of the hammergun... it looks to me like the color saturation of the photograph may have exaggerated the colors. Note the barrel color. I suspect those barrels are not bright orange nor the colors of the frame so prominent when observed in person. But I agree that some colors are OTT.

When I look at the various guns with casehardening colors, it strikes me that some original guns had subdued colors and some very OTT colors. What's an accurate representation of the original colors for one make, may be completely inappropriate for another. In general, it seems like the English guns were/are more subtle with blues and grays. The reds, browns, and yellows, in combination with blues and grays, seem to be common on American guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I took the photo and it was pretty much as it looks. Horrid orange barrels and all!

Colour hardening finishes did vary a good bit, agreed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
This thread just reminds me of how much I dislike re-colour hardened guns. To each their own, I guess.

Diggory,

Your initial post on this thread was very rude and condescending, sorry you don't understand, but several people reacted to it.

How would you feel if someone posted on your "Houston store update" or "British shotgun" thread the following:.... "This thread just reminds me of how much I dislike British Shotguns. To each their own, I guess".....

Maybe you just had too much beer whilst you were typing...?.....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

The reds, browns, and yellows, in combination with blues and grays, seem to be common on American guns.

Most American guns are not OTT on engraving nearly as much as the English guns, therefore, the colors are much easier to distinguish, even when produced as muted per a customers request.

Blues and Grays are the easiest to produce by far.......reds are the most difficult and sometimes mustard and browns can be difficult.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,
Here's a gun I had Gunter Pfrommer re-do. I'm not unhappy with the colors, but I think some of the more muted colors on some of your LC's are probably closer to OEM colors for this Ithaca. I figure they'll wear nicely.

Below is my early Parker with Turnbull casehardening.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.