April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (dogon, bushveld, Borderbill, bigblock, Drew Hause, 2 invisible), 178 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,433
Posts544,711
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A new English maker, Boxall & Edmiston is produce some really pretty pieces. It really is astounding what new technology can accomplish.

I'm amazed as how far the machining of the action and stock can go before a human hand touches it. And the engraving aint bad either. Another new English gunmaker, Longthorne, even produces their barrels from a single piece of steel.

Thought yall might enjoy a couple videos and photos.

http://youtu.be/KIqypCc0jzc

http://youtu.be/Hrgq1gb7ki4

A few guns from their line-up.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno. The biggest asset of English gunmaking are such names as Purdey and Holland, and the greatest value of these names is that everybody knows what they are and how much they cost. Say "I've got me a brand-new Holland", and everybody knows right there where you stand on the social ladder. Say "Boxal and Edminson", and most people will go "a what?" Admittedly, there are people out there who want a gun that looks and feels (and is) a classic Brit double, not a gun with a name that says "I cost a ton of cash". The question is, are these people numerous enough to make a market for these guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was all set to put my money where my mouth was on a new B&E over under until I inspected it at the gamefair this year. The photos to date don't show the detail and the final finish, wood to metal and metal to metal fit on these guns is terrible, if not embarrassing.

I actively support anyone struggling to break into the English gun manufacturing market, we need new blood, but sadly Humpty is right. The name has it all, anyone buying a new Purdey, Holland, Boss etc. knows they can cash out tomorrow if required.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The boxlock is certainly not the way to go. Boxlock ejectors here on the second hand market are very undervalued for what they represent. Anywhere between 1,500 and 2,000 will pick up one by a known and respected maker in excellent condition and can always be sold on again for no real loss. A brand new boxlock ejector, like the one above, will take a dramatic drop in value as soon as it is bought. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "made in England" tag on a second tier shotguna adds a little prestige, but not enough to outprice a Perazzi!

The field in which these new English firms compete is where Chapuis, Verney Carron, Beretta, Perazzi, and similar names have been building their brands for decdes. What more do these new firms bring to the table is not clear.

I got my Italian, hand finished, boxlock ejector for a fraction of what B&E charge, and it has signed engraving by a top Italian engraver, not a machine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"there are people out there who want a gun that looks and feels (and is) a classic Brit double"

True, and the challenge is can this be made at a competitive price, because "made in England" is not enough on an unknown make.

I believe that technically it is possible to make a fine balanced SXS on a trigger plate action for less than 5000 USD. Practically it is not because as the new makers approach shows, they bank disproportinately on the "made in" tag and not enough on the actual object.

I will risk some flaming and say that if the balance, handling and mechanical quality are the only criteria, and we leave out fine wood and engraving and some other obsessions, then a fine handling double can even be made to sell for less than 3000 US. Doable but difficult when advertising is visual and the qualities of such a gun mostly tactile.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

They need to take a lesson from Tony Galazan. His intro 20 gauge RBL was a success, and he has been able to compete with established brands at his price point through good customer service and improving quality. IMO, others may differ. Wonder if he has a hand in this venture?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony Galazzan knows the difference between custom made and hand made. Sounds simple, but it isn't.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

IMHO they would be ill advised to follow a lesson from Galazan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The B&E guns are reminiscent of offerings from Caesar Guerini...only more costly.

Hey, I thought all Brits shot low gun !! smile

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.