April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (KY Jon, gunmaker), 66 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,759
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

perhaps next time you have a question regarding an item listed for sale, you ask the seller your question, instead of answering the question yourself here...rather rude of you do to it this way. If I were the seller I would ban you from bidding on any item I have listed for sale anywhere.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SxS Only
Wasn't sure if to post this here or in for sale section, but I see this Remington 1889 on Gunbroker is getting a lot of bids
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=354189970

Beautiful SxS until you get to picture #17 where is shows the barrels have been cut and then soldered. Thought someone might want to know.

SxS only

Thanks for the heads-up.

Led to an interesting discussion. No doubt in my mind that the barrels have been cut, despite the seller's ad.

And your post here was appropriate and correct.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/24/13 02:57 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
perhaps next time you have a question regarding an item listed for sale, you ask the seller your question, instead of answering the question yourself here...rather rude of you do to it this way. If I were the seller I would ban you from bidding on any item I have listed for sale anywhere.

sxsonly, having ed ban you from any of his auctions would be a plus in most guys mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: justin
What are the "keels"?

justin, I didn't know this either, did a Google search and found this in a Q&A section on the PGCA site.

Jay

"On Parker barrels, the space between the barrels and the ribs at the muzzle end have visible triangular metal filler strips, called keels. Keels were tapered triangular wedges over one inch in length.

Keels served several purposes. The keels soldered in place added surface area to the barrels when they were soldered together before the rib's were installed. The keel are on the muzzle end because it was tapered and could be inserted and tapped in, or pulled out, to help regulate point on aim. It would then be trimmed off when the muzzles were finished."

Sidelock
Sidelock

THANKS GC

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just looked my grade 3 and those bbls are definitely cut

Sidelock
Sidelock

The seller of this 1889 Remington is honest, when he found out the barrels were cut he stated so. Some sellers here are not so honest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

wheather or not the barrels are original length on this gun is not significant. what is significant is its pristine condition. very rare to find a field gun this old in this extraordinary condition. last I looking bidding was over $2000, which Is also extraordinary!

Last edited by ed good; 07/25/13 09:53 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
wheather or not the barrels are original length on this gun is not significant.

One of the dumbest statements I have ever seen on this board.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
wheather or not the barrels are original length on this gun is not significant. what is significant is its pristine condition. very rare to find a field gun this old in this extraordinary condition. last I looking bidding was over $2000, which Is also extraordinary!

There has only been one bid since the seller added the note that the barrels had been cut at about 10PM Eastern on the 23rd. That bidder may have not seen the note.

The fact that the barrels have been cut lowers the value by 50% to 75% or more. That would matter to me.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/25/13 03:46 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.