April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (R. Glenz, Jtplumb, Hammergun, Argo44, DaveB, 1 invisible), 543 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,080
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've been a long-term, read-only guy on the forum and it's been a great site to gain a wealth of knowledge. I have been searching for a while for a L.C. Smith or Parker as a project. I have wanted to find a well abused one and came across this one while on vacation. So, I have one day to make a decision and don't have any time to do research, so I thought I would ask here. I am a SxS virgin so any and all explanations will be appreciated. The gun has had the finished removed and polishing taking away some of the engraving, the barrels are approximately 24 1/2" (looks as if it could be cut down, and the stock has obviously been shortened. 2 3/4 chambers, 20 gauge. The grip cap is also broken. It locks up tight. Serial #1411R salesman said it was a series E?, field grade.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

with 24&1/2" bbls I would pass on it no matter the price.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hello mngundog,
Welcome on your first posting.
Yes, sage advice unless you are a woodcock hunter smile
You have not posted a location?
Is mn somewhere up north?
smile
Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 07/17/13 07:59 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want a decent gun as a project post what you desire on the For Sale forum. You will receive some good offers!

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

With that s/n it's most likely a pre-13 gun and, if so, not a Field grade. As a project gun it's not because 1) the barrels are whacked and you'll never find barrels that will fit without a lot of fitting; 2) pre-13 stocks are almost nonexistent used, and;3) the salesman does not know much about Smiths because there is no such thing as a Series E (probably an ejector gun).
It's a parts gun---not a project gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And they ALL "lock up tight" unless somebody has been whaling on them with a sledge hammer.

IMO the principal reason to skip a beat-on Smith as a project is mainly the difficulty of inletting a replacement stock. Costs serious money to get it done right. Start with something simpler, or in better condition. Or both.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll pass on this one. I had planned on posting some pics, but haven't figured that out yet. I'm from Minnesota we call it God's Country about four weeks out of the year....

Sidelock
Sidelock

gundog,

please check your PMs

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Box locks are easier than side locks as projects as a rule. First rule of projects it to find a gun with good solid barrels. Then do as much yourself as possible. Expert outsourcing different parts of a project gun becomes very expensive in the real world. Far cheaper to buy a high condition gun than recreate one in a project. Most projects are just a gun needing to be fixed up to become a shooter. Much above that, is very expensive in my personal experience. Half the fun is in the looking and half is in the work making the gun into a decent shooter.

If your are looking for a special gun, based on some memory of childhood or a whim go for it. A project is a chance to do something out of the ordinary. Far easier to buy a factory gun at Dicks than fix up a interesting gun that has fallen on hard times.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.