April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (HeymSR20), 404 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could it not be that bulged muzzles from dirt/snow is the main reason for chopping off a couple inches?
after all its one of the most common accidents to have.

Incidently us Kiwis refer to short guns as SAWN OFF.
Most commonly used for robbing petrol stations and dairys.

Most commonly used for robbing petrol stations and dairys.

You rob dairys? Milk must be high downunder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dairy's = small grocery/convenience store, perhaps what you would call a 7/11?

#33108 03/28/07 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ben-t
Is there any reason the precision trimming of a doubleguns chokes would not be a practical alternative to reboring? The taper would be shortened ,but the end restriction could be opened slightly and accurately by substituting a milling machine or percision grinder for the hacksaw. Perhaps this is done?

I had this done to a Model 100 SKB. Wrote to the Ithaca factory and got the engineers to calculate how much I would have to cut to get the desired choking. It was less than 2 inches to give me just a little constriction in the right barrel and tight improved cyl in the left. The gun is long gone now as it started doubling on me and I traded it.

Me? I never miss. This new breed of quail can fly with their hearts shot out!

I like em both ways (long and short). Does that make me perverted?

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an old Parker that has been cut back to about 18". I'm thinking about having screw in chokes put in it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course in New Yawk it's pronounced "sore", as in I sawr it.

> Jim Legg <

Are we sure that simply shortening the choke will cause it to produce a more open choke?

Not arguing here you understand, but I was considering opening up a 410 I have with a straight reamer, but then I got to thinking that the angle of constriction of the shot column would not be changed, just the diameter of the muzzle.

So my question is, are all chokes reamed with a reamer that has the same angle ground onto it? Meaning that one just reams deeper for a more open choke?

RedHawk
Sidelock
Sidelock

#1 Yes, assuming you cut it back beyond any parallel section it might have.

#2 The angle of the cone leading into the choke has much less to do with the amount of choke produced than does the muzzle ID. Muzzle ID, compared to bore ID, is the most important factor. Yes, you certainly will open up the choke with a straight reamer.

#3 Not necessarily. I understand Winchester has done just that, usind a reamer with something like a 20' radius and coming through the muzzle farther for a more open choke and less far for a tighter one. In these cases the actual muzzle ID varies, as with all chokes but there is no parallel section.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Friends:

Ill bet that the bulk of the guns I have seen with 2 inches or so lopped off, were done that way to get the open chokes without damaging, too badly, the balance of the gun.

I have seen several that were identified to me as "grandaddy's bird gun" or something similar.

Back when money was dear, it was likely easier to do, even for the professional gunsmith, than getting a set of choke reamers and doing all the skillful adjustments that the late Ralph Walker was so famous for. 6 minutes with a hacksaw, 5 minutes pounding a bit of lead into the gap to replace the keel, and then oil and hot lamp blue the muzzle ends, and Voila - duck gun is transformed into a quail gun.

My guess , of course.

Regards

GKT

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.