March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Researcher, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, damascus, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 660 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

A nice Sheffield Arms Co./Crescent/Smith smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
A nice Sheffield Arms Co./Crescent/Smith smile

Pretty sloppy job of stamping- spacing, letters tilted--WTF???

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the looks of the pro casecolor job on the frame ,I suspect someone saw an opportunity when an already tarted up Cresent 410 was put up for sale.

The Bbl finish looks poor in contrast to the rest of the gun and the bbl's where all the 'Englishing Up' was done to it.
No frame proofs. No Rigby lettering on the frame.
Everything that says it's an English gun is on the poorly finished bbls.

Add/change the bbl marks and someone's pet Cresent project gun became a Rigby.

That work is amature at best. The proof lettering was attempted by hand, the top Rigby lettering looks like they made use of a pantograph.
The finish looks like a quick cold blue that worked about like you'd expect the wipe on products to work.
Perhaps any existing top rib matting and original lettering was removed also leaving the smooth surface.

Just my thoughts..

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's still up there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job you lot are on to it as someone may have been taken in by it.

Pete M, Ron Gabriels book only touches the surface of British .410's. No doubt Rigbys would have sold examples and may even have made some. .410's can be found here bearing all manner of makers names. I think the current owner of Rigbys name would be most upset. Lagaopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't see the second listing on #342148499 as suggested by one poster. But the Rigby is still listed and the buyer is still on the hook. Who are these bidders?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Good job you lot are on to it as someone may have been taken in by it.
Pete M, Ron Gabriels book only touches the surface of British .410's. No doubt Rigbys would have sold examples and may even have made some. .410's can be found here bearing all manner of makers names. I think the current owner of Rigbys name would be most upset. Lagaopus.....

Yes, I know the Gabriel book is not the final word. On the American side of it, he misses the ball all together. Researcher has turned up ad's, etc. that basically make Gabriel's writing mute. Gabriel never follows the different American development path that was terminated when the 410 made it's appearance.

Still, I thought he would not have missed a 410 produced by such a storied London name. Perhaps I am wrong.

I agree the current owners of the Rigby name would not be amused.

Given the poor workmanship evident in the photos, how can some one bid $3k plus even if was genuine?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. Over on the Gunbroker chat board I posted a notice of the fradulent sale and the moderator removed it within a day. Not surprising though, I knew the post was out of line but did it anyhow.

I'm not sure Gunbroker can be expected to police all it's auctions. Certainly there must be a large number of misrepresentations--some innocent and some intentional--and it would not be possible to have expert knowledge in all fields.

Actually, buying on auction sited is always "caveat emptor". If someone gets suckered into this gun as being legitimate I almost feel they deserve the penalty do their lack of due diligence.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunbroker has fraud protection, theoretically. I'm sure it works as well as eBay's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unbelievable. I clicked on the thread and then clicked on the original posters link. I thought to myself, that this looks like a Crescent. After reading through, my suspicions were confirmed. The knowledge on this doublegun board and others that we here all frequent, is invaluable. This fake auction is akin to, maybe even worse than, a guy trying to pass off a double with ELG and a crown, and W. Richards on the side as a Westley Richards. Unbelievable and sad. Buyer beware.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.